7

Days turned into weeks, and weeks into months, Richard and I's relationship blossomed beyond the cozy confines of the cafe. It has been weeks also since I went to their house and visited him in his sick bed.

For a while now, we discovered a shared love for exploring hidden cafes and quaint bookstores, where we continued our conversations over cups of coffee and exchanged thoughts on everything from literature to our dreams for the future.

Amidst our growing closeness, I found myself contemplating the deeper meaning of our connection. Richard was not just a customer anymore; he had become my confidant, my partner in laughter, and the person I turned to for comfort during challenging times. Yet, as our bond deepened, a seed of uncertainty lingered in my heart.

One evening, as we strolled through a quiet park illuminated by the soft glow of street lamps, Richard reached for my hand, his touch gentle and reassuring. "Eloise," he began, his voice filled with sincerity, "there's something I've been wanting to share with you."

I stopped, turning to face him, my eyes searching his face for clues. "What is it?" I asked, my voice tinged with a mixture of curiosity and apprehension.

He took a deep breath, his gaze unwavering. "I plan on expanding the farm. You've brought me inspiration and motivation to widen the farm and our coverage so I owe you a big gratitude. Thank you, El, for being an amazing friend, from the bottom of my heart."

"Is that it?" I asked, confused. I thought we were on the same page.

"Yes," he answered. "Are you expecting something else?" He asked with a worried face.

Oh, shush. Why did I expect something else anyway? Stupid, Eloise. Of course, he is Richard, the annoying and cocky and full of himself. Why did I expect more than that? Silly me. Of course, I am just a friend. What the heck of a lot of mixed lights here at the park. It is so blinding that I did not see that coming.

"Oh, no. Of course, I am your friend and what are friends are for. I even told your mom that we're friends." I shrugged off all my thoughts and yes, I realized. I was the one who said it first, that we are friends, in front of his mom. But despite that, is that what he really thinks of me? Oh, shush, i do not wish to care. He said what he said. No take backs.

But for now, at least, it is clear. This friendship, sigh.

He nodded, a smile playing on his lips, but I could sense a hint of hesitation in his demeanor. He continued softly, "Your dedication to the shop is inspiring, and I admire your passion. I wonder if by expanding the farm, we shall expand your cafe as well. I shall be your business partner."

"That sounds... incredible, Richard. Really." I said, forcing a smile.

"Yeah, and after that, we would have the best coffee shop in town, together with our perfect blend! Oh, we are the perfect partners," he exclaimed, not even noticing my tone, "in business."

"Yey, tho that's... a lot. I mean, it is nice to have big dreams." I said blandly. He just smiled at me. He is just happy. Well, as long as he is happy. Who am I to destroy that?

I looked down at the pavement. I took a deep breath, then looked up, trying to gather my courage.

"Hey, what is wrong?" He stopped in his tracks and looked at me. "What is with the sigh? Is there something bothering you?"

"Oh, nothing, uhm, just thinking of a new blend for the perfect coffee so we can make your dreams come true." I excused but that is not really what I want to say if I can be honest but it does not matter. It is better this way.

"Our dreams, you silly," he nudged me. I just fake smiled then nodded.

An awkward silence hangs between us after that.

"I should go. I have some things to do," I said to Richard, without looking in his eyes.

"Now? Let me take you home then," he said and looked at me. I cannot meet his eye but I managed to refuse.

"You already took me home a lot of times. You already made up to your promise. I can take myself home," I cold-heartedly said. It hurt a little bit but I needed some air, some space, some time alone. I need to set boundaries.

My heart ached, the weight of his concern settling heavily upon me.

I took a moment to absorb everything as I can right now, feeling a sense of gratitude and love. I reached for his hand. "Thank you, Richard," I whispered, my voice filled with sincerity. "Thank you for believing in me and for being a part of my life."

As I left and wait for a bus or a cab on the shed, I realized that love was not just about shared moments or whispered promises. It was about embracing new beginnings, supporting each other's dreams, and finding strength in vulnerability.

I guess we were not all that. Maybe we are meant to be this way. Maybe it was too fast or maybe I expected too much.

As I entered a vacant cab that stopped for me, a single tear fell from my eye, feeling more alone than ever.

Alone but I know I can face the uncertainties of tomorrow with renewed hope, ready to navigate life's twists and turns with one cup of coffee at a time.