☆Sixteen☆

T/W: Minor sexual content.

***

A few days later, Avery was posting a new video blog, showing the footage from the lighthouse. She was pleasantly surprised that she'd gained several new followers over the last few weeks. People really were obsessed with this paranormal crap.

With Nolan's permission, Avery had added a few of the clips from their investigations to her blog and couldn't believe how many people were commenting on those clips.

'This is freaking insane!'

'OMG OMG OMG! You actually saw these figures?? How are you still standing there, girl?'

'Damn! I always knew there was this shit out there!! Cannot wait to share this with my parents!'

'WTH?? I would have been outta there so frickin' fast!'

'Thank u for posting these, Miss Greer. I've had my own paranormal experiences and people always told me I was crazy. Now I know the truth.'

Avery smiles in satisfaction as she scrolls through the comments section. She hopes Nolan is as pleased about this as well.

Nolan.

He certainly turned out to be a wonderful surprise for Avery. Especially when things didn't exactly begin on a positive note for either of them.

Avery feels a sudden rush of protectiveness towards Nolan and his whole team. She hurries with her latest blog, eager to head down to the paranormal society and see them all.

***

Nolan is just finishing up with a potential client, when he sees Avery's car pull up to the front of the society. His heart skips a beat and he starts smiling without realizing it.

He hurriedly ends the phone call, assuring the man on the other end, he'll be in touch as soon as he debriefs his team and rushes out front, where Avery is chatting with everyone.

"Miss Greer," Nolan greets her formally and Avery smiles politely.

"Mr. Wright." Nolan leans over, catching Avery's hand in his, and they stand there, smiling at each other, oblivious to the others.

"Are you two just gonna stand there all damn day?" Sid interrupts.

"Why?" Nolan asks him. "Is it bothering you?"

"As a matter of fact.." Sid just smirks. Nolan chuckles, gripping Avery's hand more tightly and begins leading her down the hallway to his office.

"Come along, Miss Greer," Nolan says. "Let us leave these peasants to their grunt work and we'll go speak privately."

"Speak, my ass!" Lennox calls after them. "You two won't be talking! Just sucking face!" Avery laughs.

"Whatever gave you that impression, Mr. Bell?"

"Call it a hunch!" Lennox replies.

***
As soon as Nolan has his office door closed, he takes Avery in his arms and kisses her. Avery's arms encircle Nolan's neck as she fervently returns the heated kiss.

"Lennox was right," Avery murmurs against Nolan's chest, her hand curled gently around Nolan's neck as he rubs her back.

"Shhh," Nolan murmurs, nipping impatiently at Avery's exposed collar bone, sending shivers down her spine and other...feelings towards her nether regions. "I don't want to discuss anything except how amazing your body is."

Avery giggles, her fingers releasing her grip on Nolan's neck and trailing her fingers down his shoulder to his chest. She places the palm of her hand, flat against Nolan's chest and can faintly feel his heart beat.

"I could make some...inappropriate remarks about your body as well, Mr. Wright," she murmurs. Nolan chuckles and Avery feels the rumble deep within him.

"Oh, can I share something with you that's not my body related?" Avery looks up into Nolan's eyes. He smiles, kissing her forehead.

"If one must."

"I just finished recording another segment of my blog and Oh my God! There is so much positive feedback, it's nuts."

"That's..great." Avery frowns. Why isn't Nolan as excited about this as she thought he'd be.

"Aren't you pleased?" Avery asks, sliding her hand around to Nolan's back and gently rubbing in slow circles.

"I..am," Nolan responds. "It's just..how many of those people truly believe in what I've worked so hard on?"

"I get that," Avery says softly. "But I definitely think this is a win, for all of you."

Nolan sighs, releasing Avery and begins restlessly pacing around his office, head down, his hands crammed into his pants pockets, his brow creased.

"You think that," Nolan murmurs. "But I've encountered more a few skeptics."

"Nolan, there's always going to be skeptics. No matter how hard you work to make this believable."

Nolan just nods, but continues to pace. Avery steps over to him, gently placing her hand on his arm. Immediately, Nolan stops. Avery draws him into her arms, just holding him.

"Let them say whatever they want to," she says softly. "Because I believe in you and that's what matters."

Nolan's face breaks into a grin and Avery stands on her tip-toes give him a gentle kiss.

"You're right." Avery grins.

"Naturally."

***

"So Lennox finally calls me," Everly tells Avery. "And we have a date tomorrow night. Isn't that great?"

"Huh?" Avery looks blankly at her friend. She'd been lost inside the maze of her own mind, recalling that earlier conversation with Nolan.

"A date," Everly repeats. "Tomorrow. Me and Lennox."

"Awesome." Avery smiles, leaning over to pat Everly on the leg.

"What is with you tonight?" Everly frowns, scrutinizing her friend.

"Sorry," Avery apologizes. "I was thinking about how upset Nolan seemed earlier."

"Upset?" Everly's brow furrows. "How?"

"It's nothing. Tell me what you're planning on doing for your date."

"Going to dinner," Everly reports. "Then.. who knows?" She wiggles her eyebrows suggestively. Avery laughs.

"If it gets to that," she says. "I do not need to know all the details!" Everly laughs.

"Uh huh," she teases. "Sure you don't."

"Why would I want to know the details of your...sexual escapades?" Avery demands. Everly shrugs.

"You said Nolan was...upset about something?" Everly quickly turns the tide of the conversation.

"Yeah." Avery sighs, rubbing her temples.

"About what?"

"Just..he thinks, regardless, of the positive feedback I'm receiving from my latest blog, he still struggles with people truly believing in the paranormal."

"Nolan can't control what people think," Everly says sensibly. "So why bother?"

Avery shrugs, her hands folded in her lap, eyes closed for a moment. She had so hoped this would be a good thing for Nolan and his team. But he was so...distrustful of everyone who opposed his beliefs.

Everly reaches over, taking one of Avery's hands. She looks over at her friend, who smiles.

"You're right," Avery murmurs. "No sense in fighting against a battle that can't be won."