01| Hera Universe

--------✧✧✧--------

I stared at the table vase that sunny morning, with my usual fruit sipper in hand. Its glossy, raven surface with an unique crooked edge reflected my face brilliantly. I tidied my already done hair, running my fingers through the shoulder-length traces of wolf cut hair.

I moved my focus from the flowers to the entire library, where a dozen readers were already engrossed in their books without a word. As an introvert, I had always craved isolation, and after just a few days at my new work, I was thoroughly enjoying being a library assistant.

Smiling to myself I was enjoying looking at those readers turning their pages when a light cough turned me away. The gentleman with a brilliant pair of forest green eyes caught my attention as my head turned sixty degrees upwards. His eyes never even shifted to look at me, so I took a moment to praise those eyes in my mind.

He approached me with a piece of paper before I could inquire how I can help. "Please place these books on my seat. Thank you." Indeed, he talked in a rather ignorant and cold tone.

"Sir, each book is on its own column on its own shelf," I answered, but before I could say anything more, he took a step forward and said, "Isn't that your job?" without even facing me.

As I climbed up my ladder to get the books, my unsteady hands made a mess and ended up dumping nearly the whole top shelf. My clumsy ass! A pair of legs approached me while I was gathering up the books and picked up two in particular. I was ridiculed by the same eyes, asking, "Is this how you going to survive this world?"

When the clock hit ten, everyone had departed except for that gentleman, who appeared here for the first time since I joined, at the door talking softly on his phone. I admitted to myself that I became really envious of his flawless eyes. I tidied everything up, turned down the lights, and had one final look at the long, empty hall.

As the sudden thunderous thud of the wooden door suddenly hit my eardrums, in no time, a group of twelve guys dressed in black burst into the hall, their rifles ringing. Before my mind could comprehend the situation, my mouth was shut and my arms were cuffed and shackled.

"Only true and straight answers! Have you seen anyone here talking over a phone?"

The muscular power of the hand on my mouth turned my face from crimson to purple. They pulled me outside into the pitch-black night and dumped me into the asphalt, letting the chilly rain patter down my skin. It did not occur to me during the day when it started to pour so much.