Chapter 7

"Soldier 77 has taken his own life in the dungeon," a soldier whispered into Taeoh's ear.

"What!?" Taeoh exclaimed, visibly shocked though he had anticipated this event. He turned to Nari and nodded.

"Nari, I shall see you later," Taeoh said, standing up, ready to depart with the soldier to investigate. Nari smiled at him, nodded back, and stood to retire to her chambers.

"How did you discover him?" Taeoh inquired once they reached the dungeon.

"We arrived for the night shift when the prisoners alerted us that he had hanged himself," a soldier explained.

"Have you informed the Emperor of this?" Taeoh asked, approaching the man hanging lifelessly.

"No, sir. We came directly to you," the soldier replied.

"Very well. Soldier number 27, go and inform His Majesty. Soldiers 55 and 49, take him down," Taeoh commanded. He then approached the cell holding the vampires. He acknowledged them with a smile and a nod, receiving nods of gratitude in return for their assistance.

"Sir, this does not appear to be a suicide," a soldier suddenly remarked, causing Taeoh to panic internally, though he maintained his composure.

"What do you mean?" Taeoh questioned.

"His neck seems to be nearly severed internally. It appears more like it was cut than hanged," the soldier observed.

"That's absurd. Such a thing is impossible. Do not speak nonsense. Prepare the body for disposal after receiving the Emperor's permission," Taeoh said, ready to leave the dungeon when the messenger returned.

"The Emperor deems it of little consequence and orders a swift disposal," the messenger reported.

"Carry out His Majesty's orders and clean everything thoroughly," Taeoh instructed before exiting the dungeon. He headed straight to Nari's quarters to inquire about the vampires' statements.

"So, what did they say?" Taeoh asked immediately upon entering Nari's room.

"Are the seven princes ill?" Nari asked, meeting his gaze and leaving Taeoh baffled.

"What? I do not believe so. They are in excellent health. I have been with them since they were children," Taeoh replied, shrugging his shoulders.

"I know you have been with them for long. Perhaps they are concealing it from everyone."

"Nari, why this sudden concern about the princes' health? What did the prisoners say to you?" Taeoh pressed.

"They claimed their blood is used to concoct medicines for the princes' illness."

"What? No," Taeoh said loudly.

"What do you mean by no? Do you presume to know everything?" Nari said, frustrated.

"No one is extracting blood from the prisoners. They are merely incarcerated."

"Listen, Taeoh, you might be unaware of the blood extraction, but I witnessed it. While hiding in the dungeon, I saw the soldier I killed come to take a child on the Empress's orders for blood," Nari explained, leaving Taeoh speechless.

"It seems this operation is known only to the Emperor, the Empress, and a few medical personnel. The soldier I killed was from the medical section. I recognized him from our training sessions."

"Unbelievable. How could I not have known about this?" Taeoh said, shaking his head in disbelief.

"We must uncover the truth swiftly. I only have a short time left here. The training program concludes soon," Nari said, saddened by the prospect of leaving.

"How much time remains?" Taeoh asked.

"Only about thirteen days," Nari replied.

"Very well. We shall do our utmost, but for now, I must depart. It would arouse suspicion if we spend too much time together," Taeoh said, standing and heading towards the door.

"Taeoh, when you return, could you bring me some blood? I am abit thirsty," Nari requested, and Taeoh nodded. The thirst she spoke of was not one that water could quench; it was a thirst for blood. Although vampires could drink water, it did not satisfy their need as blood did.

Three days passed without any progress in uncovering information about the medicines given to the seven princes. Nari grew increasingly frustrated.

"Deep in thought, I see?" Sunghoon asked, approaching Nari from behind and taking a seat beside her on the wooden bench in the palace garden under a massive oak tree, which provided shade from the bright sun.

"I was admiring the dandelions," Nari said, pointing at the large cluster of dandelions dancing gracefully in the gentle breeze, creating a soothing atmosphere.

"They are indeed beautiful, are they not?" Sunghoon asked.

"Most certainly. But what brings you here?" Nari inquired.

"Why? Am I not allowed to be here?"

"Calm down, I was merely curious," Nari said, rolling her eyes.

"I came by after seeing you alone," Sunghoon said, making Nari look at him and smile. "He is quite handsome," a thought suddenly crossed Nari's mind, causing her to shake her head frantically.

"Oh my, what am I thinking," Nari muttered aloud.

"What were you thinking?" Sunghoon asked.

"Oh, nothing, nothing," Nari said, panicking slightly.

"What are you two discussing?" another voice from behind them asked, making Sunghoon and Nari turn quickly to see who had spoken.

"Nothing of importance," Sunghoon answered Jake's question, who then nodded and took a seat on the bench as well.

"Nari, you look particularly lovely today," Jake said out of the blue, catching Nari off guard and causing her to blush at the sudden compliment.

"Thank you," Nari said shyly, smiling lightly and looking down at her feet.

"Oh Jake, stop with your flirtations," Sunghoon said, rolling his eyes, annoyed by Jake's behavior.

"Why? Are you jealous?" Jake asked, causing Sunghoon to panic.

"Jealous? Absolutely not. Why would I be jealous?" Sunghoon said, trying to maintain his cool. The two siblings were on the verge of a heated exchange, while on the other hand Nari merely listened to their bickering.

Her eyes suddenly landed on Jake's arm, noticing a large red mark she had not seen before making mari extremely curious about the cause of the sudden red mark.

Please vote the story to show a little support. ♡♡♡♡