Chapter 8

"What happened to your hand?" Nari inquired, her eyes narrowing as she noticed the red mark marring Jake's left arm. It bore the unmistakable appearance of a burn.

"Oh, it's merely a sunburn," Sunghoon interjected before Jake could respond, causing Nari's suspicions to soar.

"It hasn't been particularly sunny lately," Nari pressed further, directing her question at Jake.

"I have sensitive skin. I burn easily, even when it's not very sunny," Jake replied, his tone measured.

"I see," Nari said, ending the conversation about the sunburn. She knew they were lying. The truth was evident in their eyes. They were concealing the real reason behind Jake's sudden sunburn. Though they were not aware of their true nature, that they were vampires, but they surely did not know the full extent of their condition. They did realize that exposure to direct sunlight would cause severe burns. That was the nature of vampires, but they had ways to protect themselves, like Nari's power. She possessed the ability to grant sun protection to all vampires in her clan. However, for the boys, she couldn't possibly share her power with them because they were unaware of their true selves.

What puzzled Nari was how Jake and Sunghoon could stand in the sunny garden without any signs of discomfort. There had to be a reason they reacted differently to the sun compared to other vampires who lacked access to Nari's power.

"Nari, you seem to be lost in thought," Jake remarked, snapping Nari out of her reverie.

"Oh, no, I was just... thinking," Nari stammered, eliciting a chuckle from Jake and Sunghoon.

"Sunghoon, Jake, Mother wishes to see you both," Jay announced, appearing suddenly behind them. He stood in the corridor, waiting for Jake and Sunghoon.

"Go ahead," Nari said.

"See you later, Princess Nari," Jake and Sunghoon said, bowing slightly and Nari returned the gesture.

But Nari had other plans. She waited until the three boys had left the corridor before following them. She trailed them down the corridor, maintaining a safe distance to avoid being noticed.

She followed them deeper into the palace, remarking to herself, "I never knew this corridor extended this far. I've never been here before."

The boys finally stopped near a room. "What is this room?" Nari muttered, about to follow them inside when she heard hurried footsteps behind her. She quickly hid behind a large potted tree. The Emperor passed by, walking hurriedly into the room. Once he was inside, Nari emerged from her hiding spot and approached the door, opening it cautiously.

She gasped at what she saw: a large staircase leading upward. With no other choice, she hurriedly climbed the stairs, knowing the others had gone this way.

"A secret attic," Nari whispered, looking around. At the top of the staircase was a room resembling a hidden cabin. She heard voices coming from a room connected to the attic. She knelt and peered through the keyhole.

Inside, the Emperor, Empress, and the seven princes stood amidst a room filled with medical equipment.

"Fool! What were you thinking, avoiding your medicines?" the Emperor thundered, causing everyone to flinch, including Nari.

"Your Highness, I didn't think much of it," Jake stammered, his voice barely audible.

"Didn't think much?" the Emperor roared, striking Jake hard across the face and sending him sprawling. Nari gasped, shocked by the force of the blow.

"You skipped your medicines five times! Do you realize the disgrace you could bring upon our family? If the people discover the truth about you seven, our family will be ruined. I refuse to lose everything because of a fool like you," the Emperor raged.

"I'm so sorry, Father. Please forgive me. I will take my medicines faithfully from now on," Jake begged, kneeling with his head bowed.

"Forgive you? Will my forgiveness heal your sunburn? No. I do not wish to see your face. You all are a disgrace," the Emperor spat, turning to leave. Nari, panicking, hid behind a pile of cloths in the corner.

The Emperor left the attic in a fury. Nari emerged from her hiding spot and watched as the Empress administered several pills to the boys, who swallowed them without hesitation.

Once they left, Nari entered the room. The strong smell of medicine made her light-headed making to cover her nose. She quickly searched the room, finding bottles filled with different colored liquids.

"So, this is where the princes' medicines are made," Nari murmured, opening each bottle and taking a few pills from each. She wrapped them in paper and tucked them into her dress pocket.

She found a few books which had thing which were really foreignin her vocabulary. The only word she recognized was "vampire blood," which appeared frequently. Unable to decipher the rest, she decided it was time to leave.

"I should go now," Nari said, hurrying out of the attic and back down the corridor, careful not to be seen.

Please vote the story and follow my account so that I can be encouraged to post more frequently. ♡♡♡♡♡