Chapter Two: Provocation of The Rival

Silence

Silence. In the hushed confines of Lee's office, a palpable stillness enveloped the room. Except the steady rhythm of breath and shuffles of restless feet. Shadows of gloom danced across the moody charcoal grey walls, merged with the dim radiance of the flickering LEDs etched into the ceiling, barely illuminating the mahogany interior of the room. An unsettling tension weaved through the air as the often empty office was packed with the topdogs of Lee Corporation.

All of them were sitting on the C shaped grey couches placed on each sides of the CEO's desk. Each were perched on their seats with an aura of regal poise, their eyes hard and dark, irked frowns imprinted on their forehead and postures were stoic like lifeless sculptures.

But the faint tremors of unease didn't fail to seep through their rigid muscles and relentless foot taps, unveiling the mosaic of unrest etched beneath their composed façade. As they kept waiting in silence, quick glances shot towards the chair behind the mahogany desk, where Lee was seated with its back facing them.

The higher-ups gathering in the CEO's office was not a matter to be unbothered about. Every time it happened, that meant the CEO was not pleased. And this time was the same.

Somebody from their rival company outwitted them in such a way nobody had done before. And they were not even aware of the person who did it. The news had spread around the entire media like a wildfire, causing Lee to call for the important meeting.

They had been sitting in silence for a while, not daring to speak up and disrupt whatever Lee was thinking. However, the long-term quietude crackled with the dreadful sound of something being screeched. Their body grew tense and dots of chill crawled over the skin.

They were familiar of this sound too well. They exchanged looks with each other and turned their head to look behind the desk, knowing where the sound was coming from.

Lee's right hand was hanging off the armrest of his chair, the only portion of him that was visible in their eyes. Clean, filed thumbnail scratched relentlessly on the metal ring adorned in his index finger. Someone who was not familiar with the ebony haired male, would only mistake it as a mere tic, but those who knew him, were aware of the hazardous truth of this quirk.

It was the fire alarm for the rising flame of rage and annoyance. It was a warning that whatever that was igniting the flames must be stopped or altered, otherwise the barricade of patience and mercy of the CEO would demolish in such a trice that one would not be able to even process when did they hit the rock bottom.

Their tenacity ran thin by each passing second. On the other hand, the metal screeches got louder as well, which jumbled more tension to the already stressed air, suffocating the figures by its invisible fingers.

"Mr. Lee, he is gonna come soon. You should calm down." Bangh advised, his tone cautious and low.

"Did he tell you, Mr. Bangh?" the taunting tone had the COO tongue tied, hesitant to answer the prickly question.