Chapter Four: Invitation of The War

Hyunjin:

Hyunjin:

The thick tension is palpable between the two tradelords seated right in front of me. The fright and stress of Kim and the underlying boredom and disinterest of Mr. Smith are masked by their practiced professionalism.

I can feel the piercing daggers shooting at me by the chiefs seated beside Kim. The reason is simple.

I haven't provided them with the plan I had promised.

Resulting in them coming up with a plan that is unmistakably profitable and quite sterling. However, one with eyes and brain can tell this plan won't even touch the Lees. They will flesh out a project that can rival the seven wonders of the world. Thus, despite of coming up with an admirable plan, they can't keep their head high.

And I am responsible for it.

Although, they are just a pawn for my devious stratagem, I am remorseful. As well as frustrated. Because not only have I made them shamefaced because of me, but also I am now one step behind in my own game.

Anxiety creeps up to my heart strings, tugging them painful enough to remind me of my own stupidity. After that act of Lee gifting me a Porsche and offering a private dinner as a bribe to hire me, I felt victorious. That moment of bliss swayed me out of the track that I crafted with my own hands. Making me forget about sowing the seeds for my next plot.

This is how many vengeful vigilants have lost their lives in the hands of their perpetrators. By getting distracted by small victories and getting annihilated by destructive losses.

This mistake will not be repeated.

I snap to earth after Mr. Smith's words hit my eardrums.

"Mr. Kim, you must have given not much priority to my investment proposal. I mean, as one of the top company in this Korean industry, the plan is not meeting the standard." each words seem to have pierce through Kim's prestige. His balled fists and flushed face are a solid giveaway. The accusing glares redirect at me again. I shift my gaze away from them as subtle shame and guilt wash over me.

"Apologies, Mr. Smith. Your conception is wrong. It is an honour to be able to be in your investment list. Our past complications were difficult to deal with and it is extremely unfortunate of us for not being able to pay the required attention to your proposal." he bowed. "Kindly excuse us if you have been offended by our lack of efforts."

"It's alright, Mr. Kim. I mean your plan is not that bad." I narrow my eyes at the investor. It was transparent enough that he was demeaning Kim with a hint of taunt. If it was possible, I could make his throat tight by my tongue. But right now, he has the upper hand. So I bite back my tongue and endure his remarks.

"And I still have places to visit yet." my ears perked up at that. I know exactly what he meant by places. Lees.

By taking a sharp intake of air, I manage to keep my face void of any expression. But within me, is coiling a storm of poisonous emotions. There is a huge reason why he haven't visited the Lees yet. It's not because of schedules. It's all strategy. To have the time to arrange an extravagant venue to impress Smith.