Chapter I

The wretched, unholy sound of the alarm clock screeching in Anastasia's ear was what awoke her. She sat up groggily and rubbed her puffy, red eyes, not fully recovered from her mental breakdown the night prior. She glanced at her husband, Kalyan, who was still fast asleep, clinging to a small pillow. She exhaled with amusement at his sleeping state. It must be nice, she thought, to be so naive and happy. She reached out and ruffled his messy brown hair fondly, causing him to open one eye reluctantly. He offered a dazed smile, which made Anastasia snort. 

She leaned over and pressed her lips against his forehead, "Go back to sleep, you goshdarn sunshine boy. You're not the one who has to wake up early." Kalyan made zero protests and laid his head down on the cushion, murmuring nonsensical and unintelligible phrases as he did so.

Anastasia slid out from under the thick comforter and stepped into her soft, blue slippers. She took hold of her robe from the hook on the bathroom door and slipped her arms into the sleeves. Anastasia strode out of the bedroom and into the kitchen to prepare herself breakfast. She dug around in the freezer and eventually snatched up an old, worn box of expired frozen waffles. She sighed and popped two of them into their barely functioning toaster. 

She grabbed her brush and ran it through her tangled mess of hair as she held a hair tie in her mouth. When finished, she tied her dark red hair into a messy ponytail and plated her two pathetic waffles. She stuffed them into her mouth as she navigated back to her room to get dressed.

She removed her robe and put on her work suit reluctantly. She felt gross and wrong wearing her suit just after waking up, but she lacked the energy to get in the shower and clean herself. She stepped into the bathroom and splashed a handful of water over her face. As she wiped her soaked features off with a washcloth, she stared at the woman across from her. She had dark red hair and pale skin with one mole underneath her left eye. Anastasia thought about her dark green eyes with excessive dark circles under them. She thought about this woman whom she hated. The woman she wished would cease to exist. Anastasia sighed, dropping the small towel into the sink. She didn't have time to do this again.

She wrote her husband a choppy and quick message on a small sticky note and slapped it onto the fridge. Kalyan would be fine on his own. Without her there today. She stopped her mind from wandering into self-pity again as she headed out the door. Anastasia was positive this new job would change her perspective.