Chapter VI

Two days had passed before, Kalyan was shaken awake by the boy, who he had let sleep in his room on an air mattress. The boy beamed at Kalyan, who offered a questioning grumble.

"Me and the dog have new awesome names! I'll be Kit! This is Zwei," He motioned to the fluffy Newfoundland with a grin.

Kalyan slid out of bed, "That's great, kid," he stepped over to the door, "Now, today I'm planning to try and bring back another kid, so start thinking about names for them if they also have amnesia."

Kit frowned, "Didn't you say that wasn't going to happen?"

Kalyan let out an exhausted sigh as he opened the door and motioned for him to follow, "That's the goal, kid."

Kit remained silent as he watched Kalyan unzip the body bag. He lost color when he saw the bodies. They were pale, dull, sullen and most of all horrifying for the young boy to lay his eyes upon. He shifted his gaze to Kalyan and watched him pour the tonic into the syringe. Kit stepped back as he witnessed one of the bodies be dragged out of the bag and onto the foldable table in the middle of the room. He injected the needle into the child's arm and watched intensely as the body twitched and moved slightly. 

The body changed in a blink and became a scrawny girl with long blonde hair and dull blue eyes. Her clothes appeared to be a long purple nightgown and leggings. She sat up and looked around. She then gasped with immense relief as she felt her body.

She looked up at Kalyan, "I died. How am I...?"

He beamed, "I'm Kalyan, a scientist who brought you back to life. Do you remember your life?"

She slipped off the table and looked around, "Yeah. I do."

Kit and Kalyan exchanged ecstatic glances, "That's great! What's your name?"

The girl stared at Kalyan, looking him up and down, "You're blind."

"Uh. Partially."

"I'm Sabrin Benett. 13 years old. I don't know how you brought me back to life, but I would have preferred you not have."

"Excuse me?"

Sabrin frowned, "You'll return me to my parents, huh?"

Kalyan shrugged as he held Kit's hand, "We don't have to. As far as they know, you're dead. And I can't return Kit to his family because he has amnesia."

Sabrin paused, glancing at Kit who waved with his free hand, "Oh. That'd be nice." She crossed her arms, "So, this place is a lab or something? It looks like an unkept office, really. What's with the figurines?"

Kalyan chuckled, squinting at the bookshelves, "They belonged to my wife. She was quite the collector."

Sabrin and Kit looked at each other. A dull and almost betrayed expression creeped onto the teen girl's face, "She's dead, huh? That's why we're here. Your goal is to bring her back." She scowled, "You don't actually care about us, do you?"

Kalyan's eyes widened, "What? No, of course I care."

"No you don't. You're gonna cast us to the side once your little wife is back. We're just experiments to you, aren't we?!" 

"Sabrin, you just woke up. Let me-"

"Bull!" She grabbed Kit's arm and started for the door of the office, "I'm leaving!" Kit squirmed in her grasp, reaching for Zwei who had been lying comfortably on the wooden floors. 

Sabrin charged out the door, dragging the desperate elementary aged child with her. Kalyan followed frantically, trying to explain the situation the best he could, but Sabrin was stubborn. She interrupted him every time with a snide remark or cuss as she made her way to the front door.

She flung open the door and dragged Kit outside, "We're not gonna stay and let you use us!"

"That's not what I-" Kalyan paused in pure shock and horror as he watched the two kids who stepped onto the road, still looking at him, get smeared across the street as a massive truck drove over them. He covered his mouth and stared at the streaks of blood and flesh on the previously pristine asphalt. His eyes widened and his lip trembled. He couldn't think.

He took a step back, breathing shakily. His eyes remained locked onto what used to be the two resurrected kids he knew couldn't be brought back again. He had to have intact bodies for the formula to even work. Their bodies were smudged down the street. No remnants of a human other than the small bits of flesh, blood, and fabric. 

Kalyan turned back into his home, taking a deep breath. He had to fix this. He couldn't let another die. He had to make them immortal.