Chapter IX

Kalyan thanked Laverna excessively once they arrived at his house with Anastasia's body, to which she waved off as a simple favor for curing her boredom. She brought Anastasia to Kalyan's office and laid her on top of the plastic foldable table, covering her body again with the sheet.

"So, what's your plan? You'll bring her back and just continue life as it was?" Laverna questioned with a sliver of genuine wonder underneath her casual demeanor as she hopped into Kalyans's circular swivel chair.

Kalyan sighed, snatching the tonic from his desk and pouring it into the syringe, "I'm not certain how things will go from then... but one thing I am sure about is that both Ana and I will get therapy. She shouldn't have to deal with the trauma of almost dying without help."

"Technically, she did die."

"But she can't say that to a psychologist without being sent to some mental institute or something," Kalyan retorted, glaring at Laverna, who offered a careless shrug. He scoffed, "I need you to get out. I don't want Ana to be alarmed by some random girl when she wakes up."

Lavarna laughed loudly, slipping out of the swivel chair, "Fair enough. Welp, I'm gonna stay outside. Once you explain, let me meet your wife!"

"Go to the master bedroom. One of the kids you brought is in there sleeping. You can give them company."

She beamed and nodded vigorously, giving double finger guns as she slid out of the room, leaving Kalyan and Anastasia's corpse alone in the office. He sighed and turned back to the elixir. He put the syringe plunger into the barrel and brought it to Anastasia's wrist gently. He took a deep breath, glancing around the room to make sure they were alone. He inserted the needle into one of her veins and pushed the plunger down.

Laverna made her way down the halls of Kalyan and Anastasia's house and to the main bedroom. Or rather, the only bedroom of the couple's small home. She twisted the door knob and crept inside placidly, careful not to wake the child resting calmly under the heavy, blue comforter of the large queen mattress. 

She climbed onto the bed and laid her head on the pillows, beaming silently at the young child, not intending to be in any way creepy or stalkerish but simply swooning at the undoubtable cuteness the kid possessed.

She whispered a soft, "Oh em gee baby..." which made the kid shift and sit up. 

She flinched back and covered her mouth as they glanced at her, "Who are you?"

"Uh. UH- I'm Laverna. I'm just here to look after you, buddy," she grinned nervously, "What's your name?"

The kid yawned, "Sammie."

"That's the cutest name- oh my- Uhh... How'd you get here, Sammie?"

"A guy brought me back to life..." Sammie frowned, "He shot me."

Laverna took note of the messy bandages wrapped around Sammie's head, "Is that so? Well, Kalyan was trying to make sure you were immortal."

"Yeah. It still hurts, though."

She stared at Sammie with immense sympathy as she sat up, "How do you feel about me taking you to the hospital and getting that healed up for real?"

They offered a pained smile, "Really?"

"Really."

Laverna scooped Sammie into the bridal position and hopped out of the bed, marching them to the front door. She set the kid down to open the door, but she immediately picked them back up and brought them outside to her car without hesitation. Sammie was stunned at the girl's willingness to help them, especially at their first meeting, but they were grateful for her kindness towards them.