Chapter X

"...You brought me back?"

Thick tears welled up in Kalyan's wide eyes as he stared at his confused wife. He removed his glasses, so he could see her more clearly. He stepped closer, "Ana, I missed you so much... I couldn't handle you being gone! And I... I found an eccentric but surprisingly reliable website that," he interrupted himself with a sob, "They had formulas for tonics that can bring people back to life!"

"You brought me back."

"I brought you back! And now we'll never have to worry about being separated again! Ana we'll be safe forever! We can do anything!" Kalyan exclaimed, his voice dripping with extensive relief and happiness, yet he still sounded broken.

Anastasia sat up and stared at her husband with constricted pupils in her dull green eyes, "Kal, no. I didn't... I just... Kalyan this wasn't what I wanted."

He stopped and blinked for a moment, "...What?"

"Kal, I didn't want to come back. I was... I was miserable before. I- no- We could be happy again! In the afterlife, Kalyan!" She laughed through the tears streaming down her cheeks.

"No... No, no, no- Ana I- I- I can't. No, I won't let you... I won't let you do that. Not to yourself. And not to me. Ana I don't want to see you... die. I love you, and I don't want that to-"

"I love you too, Kal," Anastasia interrupted him with a soft voice, "And I want what's best for our relationship. So either I die, and we're both miserable, or WE BOTH DIE AND EVERYONE IS HAPPY! In heaven! Or- Or whatever!"

Kalyan stepped back, "Ana, no- We can't. You can't-"

"It's not FAIR, Kalyan! I can't love you and be happy unless we BOTH die!" She laughs as her tears continue, "I'M SO SICK OF EVERYTHING BUT YOU! LET US DIE TOGETHER, PLEASE!?" 

Her husband covered his mouth, "...No, Anastasia. Ana we can talk about this! This is... a very extreme answer, Hon. Can't you just tell me what's bothering you? We can make you feel better! I can help you, Anastasia!"

She laughed. She laughed. SHE LAUGHED. Her laughter was horrible. Broken. Scared. But she was certain. Determined. And that's why Kalyan was so terrified. He wanted her to be relieved to be back with him. To be alive. He wanted her to live. To want to be alive. Was he not enough? Did he have to die to prove that he loved her? Had he gone through all the effort of bringing her back to life just to die to her hands? 

Anastasia stepped off the table and wrapped the sheet around herself. Her shaky gaze shifted to the gun on the desk. It was still loaded from when Kalyan had tested the immortality of the child, and he knew. 

"Ana, stop. Think about what you're doing! I don't want to see you die! I- I don't want to die, Anastasia! I want to live!" Kalyan screamed, sobbing and stepping back towards the door.

"Oh, don't worry, Sunshine."

Kalyan stopped and let out the breath he'd been holding, "Thank God! Ana, I'm so glad you're reconsidering. We could-"

"You won't have to see me die," she smiled, grabbing the gun

"I won't have to..." he stopped, "No. No, no, ANA I DON'T LIKE THAT IMPLICATION. PUT THAT DOWN."

"I'm so sorry, Kal," she chuckled humorlessly, "I love you!" She raised the gun, her finger on the trigger. She pointed it at her frozen husband with hesitation and looked at the floor, letting her tears fall to the cold, hard floor. She took a moment to get her breathing under control before pulling the trigger.