Chapter 1

It is a Friday afternoon the sun has not set yet. In the house in the corner in the township called Buhle Park in the city called Germiston in Gauteng the family is in a happy mood since some of the family members are coming back. Mr Mhlongo was a very traditional man when things started working out for him, his company started making money he built a very big house for his wife in a township where he was born and raised. He wanted his children to grow up where he grew up, he wanted to have a lot of children. The lord blessed him with three children, two boys and one girl. When he died, he wanted his children to stay in his house and take care of their mother and the family business. A few years back things started to not go well which resulted to the first born taking his things and leaving the house and the last born getting arrested. No one has ever visited him in prison. The family is happy as the first born is coming back with his wife and children. Sthandiwe and the maid Sisi Thandi are making her brother's favourite meals and salads. Siviwe, Sash and Krishi are standing at the top of the stairs watching as everyone is busy preparing for the arrival of their uncle they have never seen. As they are standing sisi Thandi tell Krishi that Grandmother Gladys is calling her. 

She finds her sitting down in the couch in the living room, 'grandmother you called me' says Krishi, Gladys looks at her with a straight face. 'Sit down Krishi, I have something important to say' say Gladys, Krishi sit down, 'My first born is coming back today, he does not know about you, so I want you to make yourself invisible in this house, I don't want my son or my grandchildren to complain about seeing you often do you hear me Krishi?', 'yes grandma, I will do as you say', 'you can leave now' she stands up, 'and Krishi I don't want to see you around tonight, stay in your room' Krishi leave and go to her small room which has single bed, table, chair and small wardrobe, and she sit on the chair. Downstairs Sthandiwe is talking with someone on the phone after some time she drop the call, 'Mah that was Mike on the phone, he said they are near the house', says Sthandiwe as she fixes the plate on the table. 'Mom what are you doing? everything is fine' says Sash as he stops his mother from continuing to fix the plate. 'I just want everything to be perfect', 'It will be, just go and sit down like grandmother', she go to sit down. Later on, Mike and his children and wife get home, everyone is happy. They are sitting down eating dinner, sisi Thandi approach Gladys, she says 'mam can I take food to Krishi upstairs?', 'Mah why is she not eating with us here?' ask Sthandiwe looking at her mother. 'Who is Krishi?' ask Mike looking at Sthandiwe surprised, 'She is Thabang's daughter' Sthandiwe reply. Mike's face changes, 'you fetched her?' Mike asks his mom in disbelief. 'Don't talk about this in front of the children, let talk about this after we are done eating' says Gladys. Lizy starts to hold her chest while taking deep breath. Everyone can see that she is struggling to breathe and run to her. 'Breathe baby, breathe' says Mike while holding her close. The children are confused about what is happening. ' Mah are you ohk? dad let take her to the hospital' says Thabelo taking the car keys. Sthandiwe quickly grab the car keys 'She will be fine, go to your rooms, we will take care of her, Siviwe show them their rooms'. Ntando move to his mother's side, ' I am not leaving my mother in this condition, dad let just take her to the hospital'. Mike assures his children that their mother is alright, they should go and sleep he will take care of her. They finally give in and go with Sash and Siviwe. Later at night in Thabelo's room, it is a big room with a double bed, a table, a chair with a big wardrobe and a flat screen on the wall. Ntando get in find Thabelo sleeping on the bed 'hey what are you doing here? why are you not sleeping?' says Thabelo waking up and sitting up. Ntando sit next to him 'I am worried about mom, I do not understand what is going on, I have never seen her like that' says Ntando holding his face. 'I am also worried, but she is alright dad is taking care of her, we have to trust him' says Thabelo putting his hand on his shoulder, 'Now go and sleep, we will talk tomorrow'. 'Yah, goodnight' says Ntando going to his room. In Krishi's room Sash and Siviwe have just narrated what happened downstairs, Krishi is laughing, 'This new family is dramatic'. 'Krishi stop laughing, it was serious, she almost died' says Sash. Krishi continue to laugh, 'Come on, I am sure she is just worried about the inheritance being split many times since Gladys have many grandchildren'. Siviwe get up 'Is there anything you take serious?' says Siviwe annoyed. Krishi stop laughing 'Ohk I am sorry I understand the sensitivity of the issue, but they are the reason I will sleep on an empty stomach today, so we are even now' says Krishi getting up and opening the door. Sash and Siviwe follow her and get out 'You are crazy you know; don't sleep I will bring food for you' says Sash. 'What would I be without you?' says Krishi closing the door.