Chapter 6

In Mike's room he is talking with his wife, enter Ntando and Thabelo. 'What wrong why do you look like you have seen a ghost?' ask Mike. 'It is not true right mom?' ask Thabelo. 'What are you talking about?' ask Lizy looking at Thabelo surprised by his question. 'Mom you are not the reason Thabang was in jail, right?' ask Ntando. 'Where did you get that nonsense?' says Mike angry. 'We saw the letters dad, Thabang wrote for grandma and Krishi, he said you picked him up from a club and when you guys got home you took him to his room and raped him, it did not happen like that, right mom? there is another explanation' says Thabelo. 'Yes, there is another explanation, he is the one that raped me' says Lizy. 'But in the letter, he said you are the one who raped him' says Ntando. 'He is lying, he never admitted the truth ever since he was arrested, he wanted to turn the family against me, and it is working look now you are taking his side your grandmother already saw the letters he told Mike to burn them' says Lizy starting to cry. 'Look now you are making your mother cry, Thabang was a terrible person even before he was arrested, he was a pathological liar, I am sure he planned all this, writing those letters before killing himself he wanted the family to doubt Lizy, Thabelo my boy Thabang did terrible things to your mother that took years to heal from, and now you are making her remember them' says Mike hugging his wife.

 'I am sorry mom, we did not know, we saw those letters and we just believed them we were wrong, please stop crying' says Thabelo. 'We are sorry mom; we did not know' says Ntando. 'Where are the letters? your grandmother would be upset if she finds out that you know about this, we were trying to protect you' says Mike. 'Krishi has them' says Ntando. 'So Krishi also know about this?' ask Mike. 'Yes, Siviwe and Sash too' says Thabelo. 'You go and call them so we can explain this to them' says Mike. Ntando go and call them, they all get inside. 'Thabelo and Ntando just told us about the letters that you have just read' says Mike. 'Dad have just explained to us that Thabang is lying in those letters' says Thabelo. 'Really?' says Sash. 'Yes, he was really a troubled boy even from back then, my wife was trying to help him that night and he took advantage of the situation because no one was home' says Mike trying to convince them. 'But the letter says he was drunk and ...' says Siviwe and was cut short by his uncle. 'Yes, we also thought so until test was done the following day and they proved that he was not drunk, he was faking it and called Lizy to fetch him from the club as he knew we were all away' says Mike. They all keep quiet for a while. 'We are sorry aunt; we did not know' says Sash. 'Krishi bring back the letters, your granny would be very upset if she finds out that you guys know, so please do not tell her you know' says Mike looking at them. 'How do I fit in all of this?' ask Krishi. Mike and Lizy were shocked by Krishi's question. 'This has nothing to do with you' says Lizy. 'I will ask again, how do I fit into this? I know Thabang is my father but how does it have to do with you?' ask Krishi. 'Krishi stop doing this' says Mike. 'I want to know the truth, speak' shouts Krishi. 'I am your mother' shouts Lizy with tears in her eyes. They all keep quiet. Krishi could not believe what she is hearing. 'What? how?' ask Thabelo.

 'She was conceived that night' says Mike. 'You have to understand Krishi, I did not abandon you on purpose but the pain I was going through was too much, I was just raped' says Lizy crying. Krishi laugh. 'You are lying, I was adopted that what grandma told me, my parents left me in the gate in the orphanage, and the Indian lady who gave me my name found me, that what grandma said, that is what I know, that is what I have always known, and it is the truth ' says Krishi with tears in her eyes. 'I am sorry Krishi but it is the truth, Thabang was not a good person, you see this letter he wrote for you is just his way of turning you against your family, do not believe it' says Mike. 'Which family? granny never loved me, even my own mother abandoned me. He said he loved me and cared about me' says Krishi crying. 'He does not Krishi, if he really cared about you, he would not have killed himself' says Mike. Krishi just continue crying. 'Krishi bring the letters to me' says Mike. 'Krishi give them, we will fix this as a family' says Thabelo. 'No, I do not believe you' says Krishi wiping her tears. 'Get Tonia out of prison' says Krishi. 'What?' says Mike and Lizy in unison. 'You heard me, I do not care about what you just said, what I know is that if the media get hold of this, no one will care of your explanations. They all will see a pathetic old woman who had raped her husband's younger brother and abandoned her little daughter' says Krishi. They were all shocked. Lizy start crying. 'Krishi, you do not want to do this' says Mike. 'Try me' says Krishi. 'What is your problem Krishi? this is your own mother' says Thabelo angry. 'She is not my mother, get Tonia out of prison, I do not care how you do it but get it done' says Krishi as she gets out. Siviwe and Sash follow her out. 'Mom, who is this, Tonia?' ask Ntando. Lizy continues to cry.

One day later, at Mike's study room, he is talking with Lizy. 'I have talked to the judge; they will give her bail' says Mike. 'I am so relieved, what will we do with this girl? she might continue to make demands' says Lizy. Mike looks at her. 'What?' ask Lizy. 'I am still dealing with Tonia problem, and you are adding to it' says Mike angry. 'I am stating what we will soon face' says Lizy. 'Do you realise I am in this mess because of you? If you stopped being a prostitute for one night, we would not be in this mess' shouts Mike. 'Don't you dare call me a prostitute, if you were home enough, I would not have found myself in that situation' says Lizy angry. 'You are blaming me for your slutty ways?' ask Mike. Their arguments could be heard from downstairs. 'This is all your fault' says Ntando looking at Krishi. 'Do not blame me for your parent's fight' says Krishi. 'Really? who should we blame then? mom was the victim in all of this' says Thabelo. 'Tonia is too' says Krishi. 'Who cares about that Tonia? and how is it my parent's fault that she shot you?' ask Thabelo. 'I care and what you just asked shows me that you are naive' says Krishi as she goes out. 'What does that even mean?' ask Ntando. 'It means our parents are just victims of circumstances' says Thabelo. 'I am still lost' says Ntando. 'It means Krishi is just using their situation to her favour to get that Tonia girl out of jail' says Sash. 'Which is more confusing, why does she want the girl who tried to kill her out of prison?' ask Siviwe. In Mike's study room, while they are arguing Mike's phone ring, he answers it. 'What are you trying to do Mike?' ask Lizwe calm. 'Lizwe, what is wrong? we took the deal right?' ask Mike confused by Mike's statement. 'I heard you payed a judge to give that girl bail, are you trying to cross me?' ask Lizwe. 'OfCourse not, we have our reasons for getting the girl out, it has nothing to do with our deal, our deal is still on' says Mike. 'For your sake Mike, I hope that is true, I would not want to kill that lovely boy I see every day going to school in the morning and afternoon, he looks like he is a sweet boy, it would be a shame really' says Lizwe calm. 'Lizwe leave my son out of this, as I said our deal is still on you will get your money' says Mike angry. 'I am happy to hear that' says Lizwe after he drop a call. Mike throws the phone on the table angry. 

Later that day, the family is eating dinner, when sisi Thandi get in with Lizwe holding gift bags. 'Oh my God what is this man doing in my house?' ask Gladys annoyed. 'Don't worry old lady I won't stay long; I just came to drop some gifts for my sons and talk to their mother, we have some unfished business' says Lizwe giving the gift bags to sisi Thandi who took them and went in the kitchen. 'Lizwe what do you mean by that?' ask Sthandiwe. 'Let talk outside' says Lizwe. 'I am not going anywhere with you; can you leave me alone' says Sthandiwe angry. Lizwe look at Mike. 'Sthandiwe just hear what he has to say, it would be good if you could get along for the sake of your sons' says Mike. 'Mike is right, just move back to his house so I won't have to see his face again and we will all have peace' says Gladys. Sthandiwe go outside with Lizwe. 'What do you want?' ask Sthandiwe. 'Do you have to be so rude? you once loved me' says Lizwe. 'So? Lizwe stop wasting my time and tell me what you want' says Sthandiwe. 'I want you to come back home with our boys' says Lizwe. 'Are you crazy Lizwe? me and you are divorced so I am not coming back' says Sthandiwe angry. 'Do our sons know what happened the day I was arrested? I would sure like to see the look on their faces when they found out what their mother did' says Lizwe calm. Sthandiwe keeps quiet and cry. 'I will see you tomorrow when I come to pick you up and the boys' says Lizwe as he kisses Sthandiwe's forehead and leave. Sthandiwe just stand there and cry.