Chapter 34 ~ The Concealed Past

Neeri bit her lip and tugged on a golden beaded braid as she waited for someone to break the smothering tension that had refilled the room in the seconds since Morana, Tarion, and Lonan left.

Gaelen still remained and he and Rehema had been speaking to each other in low tones, barely audible even to her. Neeri perked up as Gaelen started towards the door. He glanced at her briefly, then closed the door behind himself.

"He's going to check on the Ash warriors," Rehema explained, facing Neeri and Arlon. "Tensions are high in the camp since Astaroth began his attacks. Many are afraid of the Ash Fae rejoining him."

"We would never follow him of our own accord," Neeri snapped, the words harsher than she intended.

"Of course not," Rehema reassured her. Her silver gaze slid to Arlon and a strange look flickered across her features, barely perceptible. Apprehension...or fear. Rehema lifted her chin and clasped her hands together, a picture of tranquility. "You have something to say to me. I know that much."

"You don't already know what it is?" Arlon bit out, pushing away from the wall. He stalked towards Rehema and halted in front of her, crossing his arms.

"No. I had a blurry vision of you in distress. That was when I sent Gaelen after you. And I saw this moment. I saw you speaking to me, but I didn't hear what you had to say." Neeri watched as Rehema searched his gaze for something, and understanding crept into her own.

"I see now," she murmured. Neeri stiffened when Rehema faced her. "Perhaps you should let us discuss this alone."

Before Neeri could respond, Arlon ducked into her line of sight, planting her firmly behind himself. "She stays," he growled. He looked back over his shoulder, meeting her gaze, a silent question in his eyes.

Neeri held herself perfectly still, even as she felt Arlon's presence creeping into her mind. Will you stay?

Yes, she answered. And remember what I told you. Use your passion. Don't hide behind your mask now.

Arlon's presence melted away and he shuffled to the side, exposing her once more. Rehema paid her no mind this time. She waited while Arlon drew a careful breath, then began to speak. "I want the truth about the day you found me."

"You know the tru..."

"No," he snapped, halting Rehema mid-word. "No, I don't. When did you plan on telling me that you were there when it happened? You didn't come afterwards. You were there!"

Rehema's carefully schooled features shifted into surprise, then sorrow. She made no move to hide either emotion. "What did you find in Ophir, Arlon?"

"A report from Rhidian. He was tracking Tarion that night to make sure he carried out his assignment. He mentioned scenting a female Shifter at the site. You were the only person who would've known where we were. Don't bother lying to me. I know it was you, and I want the truth. What were you doing there, and why didn't you tell me what I really am?"

Neeri's gaze darted between the two of them as they waited for Rehema's response. Whatever the Elder said now would determine the future of her relationship with Arlon forever, that much was certain.

A part of Neeri longed to take his hand and give him the reassurance he needed, but the other part told her to wait. To let him confront Rehema on his own, and let him reach out when he was ready to.

At last, Rehema spoke, her answer sounding more direct and truthful than Neeri had anticipated. "I only told you what you needed to know in order to keep you safe. I did not want you to fear yourself or your power, and I didn't want the truth to be used against you."