Chapter 40 ~ The Smallest Chance

Neeri stared up at the ruins towering before her, more dark and foreboding than Ophir had been, even under the dim sunlight. The structure was a mass of ancient columns and crumbling domes, many of them already caved in. Their stone surfaces had been polished smooth by centuries of blowing sand, much of which remained drifted against walls and through the remnants of doorways and windows.

The group paused in a vast expanse that had likely been a courtyard during the temple's golden days. Morana peered towards the innards of the temple, but Lonan and Gaelen stepped in front of her before she could continue forward.

"We'll scout ahead," Gaelen said. "Though I'm sure if Astaroth is here, he'll only reveal himself to you."

Morana folded her arms across her chest and pursed her lips, but didn't protest. A sliver of worry crept into her gaze as she watched her father turn and follow Gaelen into the depths of the temple.

Neeri flexed her hands at her sides to dispel her own nervous energy and glanced at Arlon and Rehema. She had no idea whether or not the two of them had talked to each other recently and their behavior revealed nothing. She could only hope Arlon had held to his promise.

Neeri tensed as Arlon caught her eye and joined her. "Are you all right?" He asked.

She nodded. "I'm...as expected, I suppose." Neeri looked at Morana again as her friend let out a frustrated sigh. "Do you think they're here?" She whispered.

"I don't know." Arlon's dark head swiveled from side to side as he assessed their surroundings.

His hair had grown long enough for him to pull the top half of it into a short ponytail while the rest curled against his neck. Neeri smiled faintly. As much as she liked his hair short, she had to admit the longer length was a welcome change. Arlon faced her once more, his cool blue eyes mirroring her crimson ones.

His soft mental touch came a moment later and she didn't resist when he slipped his mind into hers, letting her hear his voice. Rehema spoke to me this morning. She said there was a little more to her vision than what she shared. It ended in a pillar of fire and black sand washed in blood.

Neeri's eyes widened but she managed to school her breathing before it gave away her horror. What does that mean?

There was a note of hesitation when Arlon answered. I'm not sure.

Arlon, is something going to happen to you?

He turned his face away, avoiding her gaze. Rehema didn't say. She didn't know what the end of her vision meant. But I wanted you to know in case...

In case something does happen?

He nodded. If something does happen to me, or to either of us for that matter, promise me you won't do something stupid in response. You won't try to throw yourself in front of us. You won't go seeking revenge. You won't interfere. You'll keep yourself safe...and run.

What? No, I can't promise that. You're asking me to be a coward.

Arlon's gaze fixed on hers once more, piercing and firm now. No, I'm asking you to not let yourself be subjected to Astaroth's torture again. Morana wouldn't want you to do it, and I'd rather die than let you go through that again for me.

And I would rather die than lose the ones I love again. I have lost everyone I once held dear, Arlon. Everyone but you and Morana. I won't live through that again.

She didn't have a chance to react before Arlon grabbed her shoulder and drew her into a crushing embrace, pressing his face against her thick braid. I pray to the gods that you don't have to, his voice whispered in her mind. But I can't promise that.