35: Loyalty

2 Months Later

Giovanni

Isabella's been out of the hospital for a few days.

I sit on the edge of the bed while Isabella takes a shower to get ready for tonight. She's sworn that she doesn't need my help, but I sit outside in case of emergency.

I put some cologne on and put my watch on while I wait.

Isabella comes out fully dressed. She wears a black bodycon dress that clings to her beautiful baby bump. She has white sneakers on and her hair is tied up in a loose bun...curls evident around her perfect face. She doesn't have lipstick on, but she has some gloss on her lips...I want to suck it all off of her lips.

"Do I look that b—"

"Don't even finish that sentence, babygirl. You are stunning," I say. I lean my arms back on the bed and she walks in between my legs. I touch her shoulders and trail my hands down to her hips. "Lukas is getting the car. He'll tail behind us."

Downstairs is busy with the Vargas family. Alejandro has cups lined up on the counter with beer and his brothers don't give a shit. They pass it on like any other day. Rafael is cooking in the kitchen. Antonio and Violeta sit in the living room. Javier comes from downstairs and joins Alejandro.

I step downstairs and keep my hand extended to Isabella as she slowly walks downstairs. I nod. Lukas is waiting by the front door. "I'm heading out, Dad," she says and gives a small wave.

"Have fun, baby," he says.

The restaurant is an hour away. I drive while Isabella hums to the music and holds my hand as I drive. "Did you know," she starts. "That little Isabella didn't think she'd make it this far? With a baby and my soon-to-be husband."

"Why don't we get married this weekend?" I ask her. I know she'll hate my idea...the stress of only having three days to prepare.

She turns to me—literally plants her whole body so that she's now facing me. "You'd do that?"

"Of course. If that's what you want."

"Where would we get married? I mean I don't have a dress and—"

"It was just a thought. If you don't want it, then we'll wait."

"No, no. I really want it, actually. I want to be married to you."

"Then I'll make it happen. Don't you worry about it, alright?"

I open the door for Isabella as she walks in. "Good evening, sir. How can I help you?" Asks the hostess. She gears her attention to me. Rather, Isabella folds her hands in front of her and leans against the stand.

"Reservation for Romano," she says and tilts her head. "My feet are killing me, so I'd really love to sit down quickly." I chuckle and shake my head.

"Play nice, baby," I say as I touch the small of her back.

"Right this way."

We sit in a corner booth, so I scoot her close to me as we order drinks and a few appetizers.

"You know," she says so delicately. "In three months, we'll be parents." She pauses and takes a sip of her water. "What if I become like my mother?"

"You won't," I reassure her. "Because you are a picture of your father. How he cares for his sons and nourishes them. Though it's weird to say, Abigail had more of a motherly role in your life and look at the mother that she's become." I pull out a little pouch from my pocket. "Although I love your family, in order to raise a family, we need somewhere to live." I watch her open the pouch. There are two house keys in the pouch.