Chapter 13: The Loss and The Gain

Legolas swiftly dismounted his horse and ran to the fallen form before him. He dropped to his knees, dread filling his heart. Gritting his teeth in anger, he cursed the horsemen for leaving her in such a state. He gently rolled her from her side onto her back to see her face. Her body was limp, and for a moment, his heart sank as he saw the blood staining her face and the cuts on her lip and eyebrow. Lowering his ear close to her mouth, he listened for her breath. It was there, but faint.

His eyes scanned her body, noting the bruises on her wrist. Then, he noticed the skin exposed between her armour. It was black and blue. He cringed as he gently lifted her chest plate and pulled aside her linen shirt to reveal more of her waist and side. His fingers brushed her skin, and his eyes filled with concern.

Y/N shifted uncomfortably at the contact, letting out a small groan as her eyes flickered open, drifting in and out of consciousness. Legolas pulled back his hand, afraid of hurting her further. He felt helpless, not knowing what to do, unable to even breathe wrong without causing her more pain.

Frustration mounted within him as he assessed her injuries, his mind racing with thoughts and potential solutions. Just as he was feeling overwhelmed by the situation, the sound of another horse rang out over the hill.

"Legolas!" Aragorn called out as he dismounted his steed and helped Gimli down.

"Oh no," Gimli said gravely. "How is she? Is she alright?" He hurried over to kneel beside the she-elf, taking her hand in his. At his touch, Y/N began to awaken more, wincing as she tried to sit up, her eyes blurry and tired, adjusting to the daylight above her.

"You're alright, lass," Gimli said comfortingly, holding her hand firmly. "Take your time."

Legolas sat beside her, still unmoving, his eyes never leaving her.

Y/N's eyes began to focus on the figures before her. "Gimli," she whispered, her voice gravelly and tired.

A weak smile appeared on her face before her gaze wandered to Aragorn, whose eyes were sorrowful, filled with pity.

As her memory returned, her stomach churned with guilt. Her eyes pleaded for forgiveness. "I'm sorry," she choked, tears lacing her eyes. "I'm so sorry, I've failed them." She tried to stand, wincing as she did.

Legolas quickly shot out his arm to steady her, allowing her to lean on him. "Easy," he said softly, encouraging her not to move too quickly. "Easy." His arm gently slid around her waist, the other hand resting on her shoulder.

She tried to speak, but her words caught in her throat, and she let out a defeated sigh. Following Aragorn's gaze to the burning pit, she murmured, "I've failed you all," her head dropping in despair.

"No, Y/N," Aragorn said gravely, stepping closer to her, his eyes filled with both sorrow and a desperate need to comfort. "We have failed them. This burden is not yours to bear alone."

Gimli, searching through the pile behind them, glanced up at Aragorn, whose gaze swept the battlefield in disbelief.

Legolas lowered his head to meet Y/N's eyes. "Are you alright?" he asked softly, his arm still around her waist. With his other hand, he gently brushed her hair out of her face.

Y/N did not look up to meet his eyes. "I can heal," she said solemnly, understanding her fortune and wishing she could trade places with the two innocent hobbits.

"I know you can heal, but are you alright?" he repeated gently.

Y/N shifted away from Legolas, stepping forward despite the pain she concealed behind a stern expression. "No, because while I can heal," she began, her breath hitching as grief threatened to overwhelm her, "they-" She dropped her head, tears forming in her eyes.