chapter seventeen

Paige POV:

Today is March 11 and the Big East Championship. We play against the sixth seed Georgetown at 7 p.m. Going into this game we haven't lost in the Big East. I think we will be able to win considering we have beaten them a few times before. Even though we don't have depth in our bench, I think we will be able to pull out this win.

It is going to be harder than it was before though. Aaliyah got injured last game and broke her nose. The trainers want her to take this game off to rest. I think we will still be able to carve out the win but it might be a little bit harder, considering we don't have a true center.

It's also a sad day for me because it's my last Big East Tournament with my twin, Nika. She announced three days ago that she isn't coming back and she declared for the draft. I'm going to miss her but I know she will do well in the pros. I'm so proud of her.

Yesterday, Coach was trying to figure out who would do the jump ball since Aaliyah isn't available. The obvious choice would be Ice, but since she can't play 40 minutes consecutively in practice he would need her to rest in the game. The past few days the team has been making fun of her for that. She had to step up recently and the lack of conditioning work she put in during the year might start to be getting to her. I told Coach that I would do the jump ball. I'm feisty like that.

I knew it would be a change and a different step for me since I'm only 6'0 and the girl on Georgetown was 6'3". You can play me anywhere though.

The game starts in ten minutes. I gave my pep talk to my team before layup lines. Everyone is on the same page, win this game and then we get a break. I need to win this last one with Nika. I won Big East Player of the Year but that doesnt matter, what matters is the win.

I hope Madison and Kaleigh are watching from home. Maybe we can talk about the game after when I get home.

It was my time. The ref threw up the ball for the jump and I sadly didn't win it. The first half of the game was really good. At one point, I had more points than the entire Georgetown team. We were winning by 22 at halftime. Going into the locker room, everyone was really proud and excited. As a team, we were doing very well and sharing the ball.

Two minutes into the third quarter I got a bloody nose. I think someone just accidentally hit me in the nose, it wasn't a big deal. Since it was bleeding I wouldn't be allowed to play unless it stopped. One of the trainers gave me a tampon and I shoved it up my nose.

The game ended and we won 78-42. I ended up having 27 points which I'm pretty proud of. Everyone was really good and I was proud of us as a team. After that Holly Rowe asked me a few questions and I responded with, "It was me and Nika and all of our little kids." Everyone we played with on our team today was a sophomore or younger.

Our team celebrated as the confetti rained down on us. We made a few tik toks before taking pictures on Jana's camera. After about an hour of celebration, Nika and I had to do a press conference. It was a normal press conference until I got asked about Nika. I started crying because I realized how much I was going to miss her.

After the press conference I got all of my stuff together in the locker room so I could go home after Coach spoke to us. He just said that he was proud of us and we would have a day off tomorrow. I'm pretty tired since it's almost 10 p.m. and I just played a game. I checked my phone and had a message from Kaleigh telling me to call her after I got home and showered.

I drove back to my apartment with Nika. We talked about the game and she brought up Kaleigh and I told her about how we fell asleep on the phone last night. When we got home, I got in the shower first because I had more points in the game. She rolled her eyes but let me go since she knew I would be quick.