Chapter 48

The summer heat in Haishi was unbearable. On the day of the exam results, Jennie felt calm, as if she already knew the outcome.

The leaves on the trees were curled up from the sun, the cicadas were chirping incessantly, and even the lively dog no longer wanted to go outside, spending the whole day lying next to the air conditioner with its tongue out.

A few days before the results were released, Lisa received a call from the admissions office at Haishi University, a rare honor usually reserved for the top few students in the city.

The good news from No. 1 High School flooded in, bringing both joy and tears to many people this summer.

Jisoo's family was preparing to emigrate, but he wanted to stay. Jennie suspected it was because of Chaeyoung.

"I don't know what's going on with Jisoo. He's refusing to go abroad with his parents, and they've been arguing for days," said Lee Jeongeun.

Jennie pursed her lips. "Did his parents agree?"

Lee Jeongeun looked at the wilted dog and lowered the air conditioning a few degrees. "They probably will. The child's grades are good, and he can go to a good university in China."

The dazzling sunlight outside shone through the French windows and into the living room. Jennie lay on the sofa and let out a sigh of relief.

Recently, Lisa found a new job at a Western restaurant, which has become popular throughout the city thanks to a famous food blogger.

As Jennie listened to Lisa's exhausted voice on the phone every day, her heart ached.

Lee Jeongeun continued to chatter on, but Jennie stared blankly at the ceiling, not hearing a word.

Her phone buzzed in her pocket, and Jennie answered with a smile on her face.

"Okay, okay, thank you." She hung up the phone and quickly put on her shoes before rushing out the door.

"Where are you going, Jen?" asked Lee Jeongeun from behind.

Jennie put on her shoes and turned around, saying, "I made plans to go out to eat with friends. Goodbye, Mom."

The door slammed shut with a loud "bang," and Lee Jeongeun sighed, "This child."

~

The "Thai Pear" Western restaurant had only been open for less than a year in the city, but business was booming.

Not only did this restaurant have delicious food, but they also knew how to market themselves. All dishes were limited in supply, and customers needed to make reservations a week in advance to secure a spot.

Lisa had just finished cleaning up spilled juice from a customer who accidentally dropped it on the floor.

"Hey, Little Fatty, did you know? A beautiful woman just sat in the corner."

"I saw her too. The one with the long curly hair, right? When I poured her water earlier, she smiled at me and my heart melted."

"Oh my god, wait a minute. Taking orders is my job, you can't compete with me."

As the restaurant manager walked by, he gave them a cold glance and sternly said, "No chatting during work hours."

The two obediently closed their mouths.

Once the manager left, they breathed a sigh of relief.

One of them nudged Lisa and asked, "Aren't you curious?"

Lisa shook her head in silence.

Could anyone be more beautiful than Jennie?

The crystal chandelier on the restaurant ceiling reflected tiny specks of light, creating a serene and elegant atmosphere.