viii. "something to miss"

The moment Senku broke free from the stone, he realized that everyone had already gone

The moment Senku broke free from the stone, he realized that everyone had already gone. There wasn't much left of humanity—if not any at all.

It was only him.

He doesn't get overly emotional about it, rather he starts working. He's going to rebuild everything from the ground up; just like what he did when he was a kid.

A kid, who once barely knew how to spell a scientific term, will now be attempting to revive humanity and all its glory and faults. No exceptions.

How righteous of him, you would have said that about his plans.

When a month passed by, Senku started to familiarize himself with the new landscape. Whenever he would pass by to get a few materials in the forest, he would be greeted with a couple of stone statues.

Some he found familiar, like one of his members in the science society back at school. And he's also quite sure he had just stumbled upon the school principal's petrified body.

It wasn't long until he had found Yuzuriha as well. Taiju was buried down beneath a bunch of dirt. They were there.

So where were you?

Senku knew better than to panic. He's not sure how lucky you can be, but if he remembers correctly you shouldn't be too far off from his position. It won't be long until he stumbles upon your figure.

He kept telling himself that.

When another month passed by, the nitric acid he was saving up was almost full. Yet still no sign of you. Senku argued that he should try reviving Taiju for now, that it would be a lot easier doing chores with someone capable.

But aren't you also that? Not as much as Taiju, but you're a good all-rounder. He wasn't really a picky guy, but maybe Senku just wants a bit of assurance that you're still out there. Somewhere.

He felt like he needed to find you whenever he passed by a broken statue.

By the time another two months have passed and he saved up nearly two pots filled with nitric acid, Senku has yet to find you.

He started to pour some of the miracle fluid on other statues like Taiju, but they won't wake up. It wasn't until he hypothesized that they needed to be conscious inside, to think, and maybe even to wonder.

Senku knows you're the best when it comes to that. Surely staying still for thousands of years would have given you enough time to think about a lot of things, be it good or bad.

The thought only fueled his urgency to find you.

It wasn't until dusk when he finally found you alone.

You were alone in the forest, there were barely any statues there aside from a few remains. if he hadn't known better, he would have thought you were star-gazing at how seemingly placid you laid.