Chapter 3

"It's not what you think" is the first thing Lydia says when she joins her mom in the kitchen, sitting in one of the chairs.

Natalie is leaning against one of the counters. "I didn't say anything."

"You didn't have to. I know that look," Lydia mutters. It's not exactly the first time that her mom finds a man in her room, but this is Stiles. "Nothing happened."

"Something happened," Natalie bites back. Lydia narrows her eyes at the comment and Natalie tries not to laugh.

"He called and asked if he could stop by. He didn't sound so good, so I said yes. It was already late and you were asleep, mom, I wasn't gonna wake you," Lydia tries to justify. Natalie raises an eyebrow at her daughter; like that's an excuse. Lydia purses her lips. "You know Malia, his girlfriend? He said that she broke up with him. He's been incredibly tired for weeks now and I just wanted him to get some rest. What was I supposed to do?"

"Like I said," Natalie repeats, "something happened. I mean, his girlfriend breaks up with him and he comes to you? Isn't Scott his best friend?"

"Yes, but I'm still his friend, mom."

"Just a friend?"

Lydia lowers her head trying to hide her blush, even though she knows that her mom is seeing it clearly. "I'm not sure I really know," she whispers, embarrassed.

"He hasn't been around much lately, has he?" Natalie asks, walking towards Lydia and placing her hands on the girl's shoulders. Lydia shakes her head but doesn't say anything. "Did he tell you why they broke up?"

"No. That's all I got from him, really." She looks up at her mom. "Is it okay if he stays a little longer? I don't know when he'll wake up."

"Of course. I'm gonna start preparing lunch. Why don't you go and take a shower?"

Lydia smiles and, getting up, kisses her mom on the cheek. "Thank you."

On her way back to her bedroom, Lydia checks her phone. There are a dozen texts from Scott and Kira along with a few phone calls that Lydia missed because she turned her phone off right before Stiles had gotten there. Assuming that they have to do with him, Lydia is quick to get a new set of clothes from her bedroom, briefly glancing at Stiles, who is still sleeping. Without making much of a sound, she heads to the downstairs bathroom and calls Scott.