chapter fourteen

"What the fuck do you mean Valentine has a kid?" Greyson yells out after Maverick utters the words.

"Shut up, you idiot. You're gonna wake him up." He chastises quickly, the sleeping angel in the next room plaguing his thoughts. "Now, we have to go pick him up from the urgent care on 6th Street." Maverick grabs his keys and moves to exit the room but is stopped by Greyson's large hand wrapping itself around his bicep.

"Tell me what happened. Then we go." Greyson says gruffly, threats of death in his voice.

"Valentine has a kid. He got hurt. We have to go collect him." He inhales deeply and lets out a huff. "Can we leave now, please?"

"Yes, but you're telling me more in the car."

"There's nothing more to tell. It's not like the guy and I had some huge conversation. He told me everything I told you." Maverick says as they leave the office as quietly as they possibly can. "Shit, what if he wakes up while we're gone?" He worries as soon as they're in the elevator.

"He threw up his body weight, he's knocked out cold." He grumbles, staring intently at the floor as a discrete, nervous hand runs through his hair. "I'll call Ben when we get back." He states flatly as they exit the elevator, walking with long strides out of the building and to their car where their driver is waiting.

"Is he in the city? I thought he had a conference in LA."

"He doesn't now."

Ben was a friend of theirs that they'd met in college. He went to school for his medical degree and ended up working at one of the biggest hospitals in New York City when he graduated. He owned his practice now just outside of the city and traveled around the world all of the time to see other people's advancements in modern-day medicine. His being across the country wouldn't stop Greyson though.

Nothing would stop him from making sure Valentine was okay.

-

When Greyson and Maverick walked into urgent care they weren't prepared for the sight that met them.

A toddler, probably around two or three years old, was sitting by himself in a chair that seemed to dwarf him. The boy had these big brown eyes that were streaming with endless tears and this pale blushing skin that screamed 'Valentine'.

They didn't know anything about Valentine's child before this; what he looked like, how old he was, or what had happened to him. But with one glance they knew the crying toddler belonged to him.

"Where the fuck is the guy from the phone? Why is the kid alone?" Greyson says, eyes scanning everyone in the waiting room with a look that could kill.

"I'm as pissed as you are but chill out, man. You're freaking out the kid."

"No, I'm-" Greyson goes to defend himself but cuts himself off when he sees the child cowering further in the chair. "Fuck" He mutters, scrubbing a hand over his face in defeat.

"Hi, little one," Maverick speaks, kneeling down in front of the boy. Greyson stays back, observing from a distance as he doesn't want to make the situation worse.

"What's your name?" He pries when he's yet to look up at him. After a few moments of consideration, the boy gives in and Maverick can't help but coo at his adorableness. It was different seeing him head-on rather than across from the room. Maverick could see his innocent eyes and curly, unruly hair from up close. He could count all ten of his little fingers as they gripped his knees close to his chest.

The kid is a treasure, he thinks.

"M-Mama says no t-talking to st-angers." The boy finally speaks up through a sniffle.