Stuck in the Middle

... I realized I was missing something in my other one shots.... And I fixed this story.

IN THIS: Miles is 17, it's August, Peter and MJ are NOT dating, there are too many OCs.

I was walking down 24th and Broadway with a subtle smile on my face. I couldn't help myself to be honest. I had scored all perfect scores on my five part exam. I guess you could say I made a 500 percent. Yeah... Not my best line. Pete's cracked worst.

Making my way to a pizza shop for a Friday night movie marathon with Peter, my phone buzzed in my pocket. I checked it: "Ryker's Escapees - Hostage Situation." I frowned and quickly hid to change into my suit. "Let's just get this over with..." I mumbled to myself. As I made my way to Midtown, a call came in from my suit. "What's up?" I answered before the other person could say anything. "Hey Miles," Peter responded. "Are you heading to Midtown?"

"Yeah."

"Okay. Yeah, cool... Just wondering." I kept myself from sighing. Lately, Peter had been tailing me everywhere I went, insisting on always patrolling together. Always worrying over whether or not a request I took was too much of a threat. "Pete." I said before he could so much as get one word out of his mouth. "It's cool. I got this one. It's only a few criminals of the weak."

I was wrong. Well, they were weak, yeah. But there were not just a few. They just kept coming and coming. I saved the hostages, what was these guys' deals anyway?! "Hey, shorty!" I called to one of the crooks. Just as he turned around, I yanked up a man-hole cover and threw it at him. "Catch this!" The guy panicked for a split second before being hit head on with the flying cover. "Your quips are terrible!" Another one cried.

"Yeah! That's kinda the whole point! Can we hurry this up though? I got a pizza to get!"

"Why would we care?"

"And just when I thought there was hope for you..." I snickered and threw a web bomb at the remaining crooks. I cringed inwardly. "Miles... Never quip again." I said to myself as I swung away.

As I stood in a line with fifteen other people to order pizza I felt a tap on my shoulder. I turned around and made eye contact with a brunette girl. I felt like I'd seen her before somewhere. I think I can remember Peter introducing us when I dropped of his lunch at his job. Courtney? Cece?

"Hi." She greeted with a small but confident wave. "I'm Atlanta," How was I so far off? "You're... Miles right? Peter's friend. You babysit my niece." I nodded my head and held out my hand for her to shake. So that's why she seemed so familiar. She shook it vigorously. "Did you want to... Chat or something?" I asked her with furrowed brows. "Sorta...? Look, I just need to know; does Peter have a girlfriend?" I shook my head. "Really!? I mean - oh. That's... Anyway. What does he like to do on his spare time?"

"Next!" The cashier called impatiently. I stepped to the counter and ordered a sausage and pepperoni pizza with olives and a double pepperoni. "Which one is Peter's favorite?" Atlanta asked me suddenly. "Why are you asking me these questions?"

"It's weird, I know. You're like a kid and I'm asking you questions about your friend. But please, you're practically Peter's only friend. And if I asked him about it. Then... He'd probably find that weird." I stared her down for a moment before realizing something. "You... Do you like him?" I took note of her eyes widening as she avoided my gaze. "I just want to know his favorite pizza." I smiled awkwardly before clearing my throat. "Double pepperoni." I said simply. She looked up with a grin on her face and thanked me before heading off. "Bye I guess..." I mumbled.

"No, no, no. They can't do that! You can't just kill someone then cover up the body with sand! It won't work!" Pete exclaimed in frustration from the crappy old thriller movie we were watching. We were sitting on his little two seater just enjoying pizza and mainly talking. The movie was mainly background noise until either of us felt like putting on a new one. I figured then was a good of a time as any to bring up Atlanta. "So..." I rubbed the back of my neck as Peter turned to face me. "Yeah?" He responded with his signature smile. "What - do you know who Atlanta is?" He blinked at me for a second before answering.

"Atlanta?"

"You work with her?"

"Ohhh. Yeah! What about her?"

"I -" My sentence was cut short by several knocks on Pete's door. Pete held up a finger, letting me know to give him a minute before we could continue our conversation, then went to the door. I turned my head to see who it was as he opened it. There stood Atlanta, with a different outfit on. And I could've sworn she put on some makeup. "Hi Pete." She greeted with a warm smile on her face. "I can call you Pete right?"

"Al'. Hey, um, yeah sure. Do you wanna... Come in?"

"Yes! I mean - sure." I watched their every move and interactions. From what I could tell about Pete interacting with her is that he liked her back. And in the end, he gave her a ruby necklace that I'm pretty sure he bought from the dollar store, and she gifted him a watch. That one watch he had wanted since it came out. And it wasn't a cheap watch either. When she left, Peter plopped down on the couch with a goofy expression on his face. I made a face at him. "What?" He asked me still grinning. "We share birthdays." Realization hit me and I smiled. He then handed me a five dollar bill. "You've talked to her before right?" I internally groaned. I knew where it was heading. Everyone I knew seemed to think I was their messenger for other people. "You work with her man!"

"Yeah. But, I have no idea what her favorite candy is. So if you could find that out..."

"No. Just inconspicuously watch her every move."

He stared at me. "That's... Creepy, Miles." I shrugged. "Please! I gave you all the money I have." I crossed my arms and narrowed my eyes at him. "If you like her so much then why don't you go talk to her?" I exclaimed.

"There's no way she likes me back. I don't want to make her uncomfortable." I unfolded my arms and gaped at his oblivion. I groaned, "You will if I go up to her." I pinched the bridge of my nose and turned up the volume of the movie. He snatched the remote from my hand and muted the TV. "MJ said that women don't like it when men walk up to them and ask them questions." He pouted and leaned back into the seat.

"Hailey likes it..." I mumbled under my breath. I turned my head slowly, wincing when I caught sight his eyebrow was raised. knowing he had heard me. And knowing that I had accidentally given him rocket fuel for endless teasing. "Who's Hailey?" He asked with a smirk. "No one, man."

"Okay... Who's Hailey and how do you know that she likes it?"

"Because," I deflected the question. "MJ just says this stuff so you won't see the value in finding another girl. Honestly, I would prefer it if you did..." Of course I did. Everyone did. But whatever Pete decided, I was going to be supportive of.

"Yeah, I know." He whispered. I rubbed his back as I thought for a little while. "You said you guys share birthdays?" I asked, trying to repress a smile from him. He nodded in response. "Then ask her to go out for a belated birthday dinner. Seriously man. You're the adult. You should be brainstorming this kind of stuff -"

"Miles." Peter sighed. I tilted my head. Was he going to suggest that my idea was terrible? Or was he going to say that his luck with women, was indescribable --- in the worst way possible. But instead he told me, "My birthday is this Sunday."

"Oh." I felt terrible.

"It's okay," he gave me a reassuring smile. "It happens to everyone."

"Yeah sure. So, what do you think about my idea?" It wasn't time for face palming myself for forgetting Pete's birthday. He seemed to think for a moment before saying, "Eh... I'm positive she'd say no..."

I gave him a look of surprise, "You're kidding right? She knew exactly what you wanted and bought it for you. No matter the cost. She obviously likes you back. And she's probably sitting on her parents' couch and wondering "When is Peter Parker going to ask me out?"."

"You're right Miles. And I'll do that --- on Sunday. Now, I'm gonna finish watching this movie."

"Okay man. I'll hold you to that." He bumped his shoulder into mine with a warm smile on his face.

"Yeah, I know."

Now, I only needed Ganke to take my advice and talk to Sarah, instead of having me as his messenger. And vice versa!