41. A week without Kian

Third Person's PoV

Third Person's PoV

A week had passed since the evening Sky’s life took a turn on the A1 Autostrada, and now she found herself again in the bustling heart of Rome. The city was alive with the sounds of Vespas zipping through the streets, the aroma of fresh espresso filling the air, and the vibrant chatter of locals and tourists alike.

Sky had taken to her new role at Café Luce like a fish to water. The quaint café, nestled in a cobblestone alley adorned with hanging ivy, had become her sanctuary. The patrons were a mix of regulars and wanderers, each with their own stories, and Sky served them with a grace that belied the turmoil that had brought her here.

Karl and Micah visited often, always choosing a table in Sky’s section. They watched her with pride, their eyes reflecting the admiration they felt for her resilience. Each visit, they’d leave a generous tip, not as charity, but as a silent nod to her independence.

The owner of Café Luce, a jovial man named Matteo, had taken a liking to Sky. “You have a gift,” he’d tell her, “the way you make everyone feel at home.” And Sky, who had once felt so lost, found a sense of belonging in those words.

But even as she poured coffee and shared laughs, Sky’s thoughts would drift to Kian. She wondered if he ever thought of her, if he regretted letting her go. With each passing day, the hope that he would reach out dwindled, yet a part of her clung to the possibility of his return.

One evening, as the café prepared to close, Sky wiped down tables, the golden light of the setting sun spilling through the windows. She paused, her gaze lingering on an empty chair, and allowed herself a moment to dream of a different reunion, one where Kian would walk through the door, searching for her.

But dreams were fragile things, and Sky shook off the longing, replacing it with the determination that had carried her this far. She had found her footing in this new world, and she would not let the ghosts of her past hold her back.

As the last customer bid farewell and the final note of the Italian ballad faded into the evening, Sky locked the doors of Café Luce and made her way through the cobblestone streets. The city’s nocturnal symphony accompanied her every step, a comforting reminder that she was part of Rome’s endless story.

Upon reaching her apartment, a quaint space that mirrored the charm of the city, Sky inserted her key into the lock and pushed the door open. The familiar scent of lavender greeted her, but something was different—a sense of warmth and care that seemed to fill the room.

The kitchen lights were on, casting a soft glow over the countertops. Sky’s eyes widened in surprise as she took in the sight before her. The kitchen was stocked with an abundance of groceries; fresh fruits and vegetables were neatly arranged in the fridge, jars of pasta and sauces lined the shelves, and there was even a selection of fine cheeses and cured meats.

On the counter lay a note, written in Karl’s unmistakable scrawl, “For our sister, who deserves the world. Enjoy, Karl & Micah.”

A smile tugged at the corners of Sky’s lips, and a warmth spread through her chest. She ran her fingers over the note, feeling the indentations of the pen, a tangible connection to her brothers’ kindness. They had thought of everything she might need, not just for a week, but perhaps even a month.