15. Inmates

Everyone woke up pretty early and got together around the picnic table they dragged inside of the prison. Few guns and other weapons were laying on the table as Rick talked about how they were gonna do it. Lowell was perfectly fresh even after drinking half a bottle of whiskey last night. He didn't look or act hungover and was more than functional. He's used to work, hunt, kill even after wild nights of drinking himself to half death. Glenn, Maggie, T-Dog and Hershel put on some pieces of guards armor to protect themselves from walkers. Lowell just stood in his black long sleeve, jeans and boots, the same that he was sleeping in and the same he was wearing for the past several months. He didn't care enough to change or wash his clothes, gonna get dirty soon enough anyway. He had his gun on his hip together with his USMC knife and his sword on his back. Soon enough they moved out leaving Carl, Beth, Lori and Carol in the secure cell block. Lowell moved through dark corridors with his sword in hand and flashlight in other together with the rest, checking each corner for walkers. It was dark and most cell doors were opened with bodies of inmates laying on the ground everywhere. Glenn drew arrows on walls when they turned corners so they could find a way out later. They turned another corner and there they were, whole pack of walkers moving through the corridor.

"Walkers. Go back." Rick waved his arm at everyone and they started moving back by the corridor turning corners and trying to get away from walkers.

Suddenly Lowell was pulled to a side by his arm he was about to swing his sword but saw that it was Daryl and not a walker. Daryl shoved him into small room with metal doors squatting on the ground and pushing Lowell down as well with his hand on his shoulder. Rick and Hershel ran in after them closing the door behind them as they waited for walkers to pass. They sat on the ground to stay out of the view of walkers that could see them through small window in the door. Lowell could feel Daryl's arm wrapped around his waist holding him on place securely. He didn't know if he wanted to make a snarky remark or to blush at that. Not that Lowell minded it at all. He grew to like Daryl in those past month, really like him, he didn't want to put his hopes up for anything because he knew it was stupid. Too many buts and ifs of which Lowell was not ready to risk. But it felt nice knowing that he cared and he did by the way his arm was holding Lowell close to himself as they squatted on the floor of the small room.

"That outside yesterday, was shits and giggles. *This* is suicide run." Lowell said in low whisper as he looked over at Daryl beside him.

"Not now." Daryl hissed at younger guy's complaints.

"Wheres T-Dog, Glenn and Maggie?" Rick asked looking around the guy's who just shrugged their shoulders.

"We need to go back." Hershel said.

"Which way?" Lowell asked. This prison was a damn labyrinth.

Rick got up and pushed doors open as the three followed after him. Going through corridors in an attempt to find three other members of the group. They split up going to check different corners. Then they heard a yell and ran towards it. Hershel was there on the floor with his leg bit by a walker. Rick immediately shoot the undead in a head. Maggie, T-Dog and Glenn ran out from around the corner gasping at what they saw. Rick and T-Dog grabbed Hershel under arms and started dragging him away as Lowell swung his sword cutting undeads head in two. There was much more of them going but he killed only few closest ones before following guys. They reached the door but it was locked with handcuffs, Glenn took a metal pipe and sticked it between the handcuffs and the door using it as leverage to break them and they ran into the room shutting door behind them and locking it by the same metal pipe.

It was cafeteria. T-Dog and Lowell stayed holding doors closed as the rest gathered around Hershel. Rick took off his belt and wrapped it around Hershel's leg to stop the bleeding as Glenn and Daryl held him down, Maggie was holding Hershel's head and petting him soothingly. Rick grabbed ax and raised it over Hershel's leg before chopping the bit part off. There was a movement behind the counter of cafeteria that had a fence over it. Daryl noticed it and stood up pointing his crossbow at the guys standing there. Lowell continued holding the door with his back pressed up against it and his sword in his hand.