Chapter 10: The Omniscience of Truth

“Didn’t Her Majesty put off the invasion of Earth a while ago?”

Alvaro lifted his head up to look the girl in the eye as he polished his battleaxe, a profound exasperation in his fiery eyes. The girl who had spoken, much younger than him, had hair that embodied the golden sun in all its glory and eyes reflecting the vast ocean.

She wore black armour with golden engravings, adorned in various areas with sapphires that mesmerizingly matched her eyes. Golden earrings the shape of teardrops hung from her ears.  Her hair extended down to her waist, curling at the ends. Despite its silkiness, it was fairly tousled due to the haste of preparing for this large-scale operation.

Unlike Alvaro, she was quite young, evident by her maiden-like soft voice and delicate facial features. That said, even though she appeared innocent, black horns adorned the top of her head, just as they did the rest of her companions – an unrefuted evidence of her demonic descent.

Her brows were furrowed in confusion as she pondered on her question, awaiting a reply. He let out a sigh.

“Indeed. She did.”

The girl snapped her head up at his response. “So, why are we preparing for it now? Even more, she ordered us to wipe the humans out! That wasn’t in the original plan. She’d said it would make her no different from her fathe–”

“Sereia.” The Vand went quiet as she looked back at the woman next to her. Alvaro’s gaze also turned to her, warmth replacing the exasperation in his eyes.

“I apologize, Lady Esmeray…” the girl muttered.

Esmeray’s eyes were as black as an endless void, signifying her status as a Vanlig – a common demon – with hair as white as the pearly snow of the human realm. Her expression was rather indifferent, but her slightly deep voice left no room to argue.

The woman was evidently much older than Sereia, proved by her graciously aged features and hardened gaze that scrutinized the younger girl. Sereia shrunk into herself a little under the woman’s gaze. Out of all 10 Commandments, Sereia was the youngest – not counting Hugo, who was 5 years her junior.

Her eyes unintentionally fell on the wedding band on Esmeray’s hand, then drifted to the one on Alvaro’s. She pouted, unable to help the feeling that she was being scolded by her parents. Sereia slightly lifted her head as another person spoke.

“We do not question Her Majesty’s decisions – we do not question the Omniscient Truth,” Ruina chided, slightly glaring at the younger girl. That said, Ruina herself was only 3 years older than Sereia – but her extreme loyalty to Adira was what truly set them apart.

Sereia hung her head and nodded in resignation, having been scolded by multiple people at that point. It didn’t take long for her head to snap back up in another realization, however.

“Hold on, where’s Hugo? Didn’t you guys bring him back?” she questioned, her gaze darting between Alvaro, who was still polishing his weapon, and Kaiser and Zielle, who were off in another corner of the room.

Zielle didn’t quite say much as usual, instead focusing on fixing her fiancé’s messy, slightly long hair. Kaiser also did not reply for a while. His silver eyes trained on Sereia like a hunter watching their prey.

“Are you aware that he’s branded as a traitor, Amastacia?” he finally sneered. Zielle’s brows furrowed as he moved his head, destroying her efforts. Sereia did not reply as she looked down at the ornate crossbow in her hands. Hugo was her cousin and her best friend. Of course, she would be worried.

“Her Majesty said that he will receive punishment as any traitor,” Aurelie informed with a hum, fixing her own armour, which was adorned in kunzites. Sereia’s breath caught in her throat, a look of melancholy coming over her features. With Ruina and Valen quarrelling in the background, the Vand sunk into the whirlpool of her thoughts.