-3-

As the first light of dawn broke over New Delhi, the city was bathed in a soft, golden glow. The chill of winter was beginning to recede, making way for the gentle warmth of early spring. March in New Delhi was a season of transition; the air was still crisp, carrying the lingering bite of winter, yet there was a promise of the balmy days to come.

Outside the college classroom, the sprawling campus of St. Teresa's Women's College was coming to life. The trees, still bare from the winter, were starting to show signs of new life, with buds slowly beginning to unfurl their delicate petals. The lawn, a lush green carpet, sparkled with morning dew, and a light breeze carried the scent of earth and fresh grass, mingling with the faint fragrance of the blooming jasmine bushes lining the pathways.

The sky was a canvas of pale blue, dotted with fluffy white clouds that drifted lazily, hinting at the calm weather ahead. The sun, just beginning its ascent, cast long shadows across the grounds, lending a serene, almost ethereal quality to the scene. Birds chirped merrily in the trees, their morning song a cheerful herald of the changing season.

Inside one of the classrooms, the atmosphere was a stark contrast to the tranquil scene outside. The room was abuzz with the quiet murmur of students, the soft rustle of papers, and the occasional creak of chairs being adjusted. At the front of the room stood Jayasvi Rana, poised and composed, despite the flutter of nerves in her stomach.

Jayasvi was dressed in a bottle green suit paired with a palazzo, the rich hue complementing her pale white complexion,her shoulder draped with the dupatta sophistically. Her long brown hair, cascading down to her knees, was neatly tied in a French Braid, accentuating her delicate features. Despite her beauty, Jayasvi was often plagued by insecurities, especially about her looks and the faint facial hair. A single line of Kajal making her eyes pop out as she stared at her classmates.

The room's lighting was subdued, with the morning sunlight streaming in through the large windows, casting a warm glow on the students seated attentively, waiting for her presentation. Jayasvi took a deep breath, her hazel eyes scanning the room as she prepared to speak on a topic close to her heart: "Gender and Politics."

She began her presentation with a calm, steady voice, the soft cadence of her speech resonating in the quiet room. "Good morning, everyone. Today, I will be discussing the intricate relationship between gender and politics, and how it shapes our society."

As Jayasvi spoke, the sound of her voice mingled with the distant hum of the city outside, a reminder of the world beyond the classroom walls. The weather, with its delicate balance between winter's end and the promise of spring, seemed to mirror the theme of her presentation — a delicate interplay of power and identity, change and continuity.

She had just finished delivering her presentation. The intricate designs of henna on her hands, reaching up to her mid-arm, were a reminder of the festive occasion that awaited her later in the day: her cousin sister's wedding.

"Well done, Jayasvi," her professor commended, her voice carrying a note of approval. "You may leave early, considering the family occasion."

"Thank you, ma'am," Jayasvi replied, gathering her notes with a grateful smile. She glanced once more at Pooja, who was engaged in an animated conversation with her new friend, Shalini. The sight made Jayasvi smile wistfully before she made her way out of the classroom.

As she walked briskly towards the metro station, she dialed her mother's number. The city's vibrant energy was a stark contrast to her own nervous anticipation.

"Jayu, you come with Akshu. Your Taiji said you both can come here together and she'll help you get ready," her mother instructed over the phone.

"Ma, no. I am not getting ready there. I don't even have my dress there. You know I need to go to the parlor as well. I have to get my eyebrows and upper lips done," Jayasvi replied, her voice slightly breathless from walking quickly.