-8-

Jayasvi was deeply engrossed in yet another dark romance book, tucked away in the cozy corner of the library. The narrative was intense, the male protagonist alluring in his brooding manner. She found herself completely immersed in the world the author had crafted, her mind wandering into the tantalizing escapades of the characters. Outside, the sun blazed fiercely, but inside the library, the cool air-conditioning created a cocoon of comfort that Jayasvi was reluctant to leave.

Just as the story reached a particularly steamy scene, her phone rang, startling her and making her feel as though she had been caught doing something illicit. She glanced around the library, half expecting disapproving glares, but most students were absorbed in their own work. She pulled out her phone, a slight scowl forming on her face when she saw the caller ID.

Raghav Sir

She sighed, a mix of curiosity and annoyance bubbling up. It was 9:39 a.m., and she hadn't expected a call from him. Her class had been canceled, and she had planned to spend the morning lost in her book before heading home. Reluctantly, she answered, aware of the heads turning in her direction due to the unexpected noise. She usually kept her phone on vibrate, but somehow, it always seemed to ring at the most inconvenient times when she was at college. She made a mental note to fix this habit.

"Yes, sir. Good morning," she greeted softly, trying to keep her voice low.

"Jayasvi, stop calling me 'sir'," he said, a hint of impatience in his voice. She winced slightly; she had no idea what else to call him. He was older, and addressing him by his first name felt awkward and disrespectful.

"Never mind," he continued. "I wanted to ask if you are free today. Dhara wants to meet you."

Jayasvi sighed inwardly. Why did she have to meet his sister? She hadn't even agreed to the marriage proposal yet. This whole situation felt like a slow-motion dive into a life she hadn't signed up for. The thought of ending up as Raghav's wife, waking up in his bed with their kids, flashed through her mind. She cursed herself for letting her imagination run wild. Why did her thoughts always seem to link Raghav and his bed?

"I'm free today. We can meet up," she replied, eager to get this over with. She glanced down at her outfit, feeling a twinge of insecurity. She was wearing a white floral Anarkali suit that felt too snug around her chest, emphasizing her ample bosom. The dress hugged her curves a bit too tightly for her liking, making her feel chubby. She sighed, knowing her outfit was comfortable yet felt slightly self-conscious about it. Her mother had braided her hair today, creating a neat front braid hairstyle for her long tresses. She wore matching juttis, completing her traditional look.

"Fine. I'll pick you up in half an hour. Don't worry, I've already spoken to your family," Raghav said, his voice polite yet authoritative, as if everything had already been settled. Typical Raghav, always a gentleman but with an air of finality that made her feel like her opinions were mere formalities.

Jayasvi ended the call, feeling a mix of frustration and anticipation. She quickly gathered her things and headed to the washroom to check her appearance. She wasn't looking forward to this meeting, but she knew she had to face it head-on.

As Jayasvi stepped out of the library, the bright sunlight sharply contrasted with the cool, dim interior she had just left. She quickly draped her dupatta over her head, pulling it down to shield her face from the harsh sun. Walking towards the exit, her eyes stayed glued to her phone, anxiously awaiting Raghav's message that he had arrived. Lost in her thoughts, she nearly bumped into Pooja and her friends who were blocking her path.

"Where do you think you're going?" Pooja demanded, scrutinizing Jayasvi from head to toe.

"What kind of stupid question is that, Pooja? Look, she's covering her face. Must be off to meet another customer," Ritu, Pooja's friend, sneered. It took Jayasvi a few moments to register the meaning behind Ritu's words, and when she did, she felt a flush of anger and embarrassment. She had never done anything to harm them, yet they seemed determined to make her life miserable. Ignoring them, she tried to walk past, almost reaching the college gate when Pooja grabbed her wrist with a vice-like grip, making her wince.