-5-

Things had progressed significantly as Jayasvi's third year of college drew to a close. With her exams done, she was now gearing up for her fourth year. The prospect of preparing for entrance exams for her master's program loomed ahead, and while her friends scattered to pursue internships, Jayasvi found herself caught in a storm of emotions. Her conflict with Pooja had escalated, turning into open bullying. Pooja's friends had started to slander Jayasvi, targeting her character and criticizing the fit of her clothes as an attempt to attract male attention. It hurt the most to see Pooja, once a friend, smiling through it all, leaving Jayasvi puzzled and heartbroken by her behavior.

The memory of those hurtful days lingered as Jayasvi watched a YouTube dance video on her iPad, trying to find some distraction. Her phone buzzed unexpectedly, and she was surprised to see a message from her professor, Mr. Sharma.

"Hi Jayasvi, we have an opportunity for you to work with some influential political leaders. It's an internship where you can observe real-world political operations. If you're interested, please let me know as soon as possible. We're selecting a few students who we believe can excel in this environment. Hoping for a quick reply. Best regards."

Jayasvi's initial reaction was to decline. She had planned to relax after the stressful exams, but she decided to consult her mother, Anjali. As expected, Anjali was apprehensive about her daughter working in the potentially dangerous world of politics, where scandals and corruption seemed rife. Her main concern was protecting Jayasvi from the murky depths of political dealings.

Despite her initial reluctance, Jayasvi's professor assured Anjali about the safety measures in place and emphasized the significance of the opportunity. Anjali eventually agreed, reassured by the fact that the internship was in Delhi and wouldn't take her daughter far from home. Jayasvi submitted her name and awaited details, discovering to her surprise that she would be working in the same political office where she had first encountered Gajraaj Hooda.

On her first day, Jayasvi chose a light pink kurti paired with denims, complemented by black sports shoes and a French braid. Nervous yet excited, she received a call from the party office instructing her to present an email for entry. Upon arrival, she completed the formalities and received her ID card, a symbol of her new role, which brought a broad, albeit nervous, smile to her face.

Navigating the majestic building, Jayasvi was guided by a man in his mid-forties to a particular room. A quick knock on the door revealed another man, older, perhaps in his mid-fifties, who greeted her warmly.

"Good morning, Ms. Rana. I've been expecting you," he said, inviting her inside.

"I am Krishna Malik, Mr. Hooda's secretary. You will be working with me from now on," he announced, leaving Jayasvi to process the realization that she would be working closely with the influential Gajraaj Hooda. The thought seemed surreal, and she knew it would take a few days to adjust to her new reality.

Days turned into weeks, and Jayasvi gradually grew accustomed to seeing Mr. Hooda regularly. Their interactions were limited to polite greetings, as she was too shy to engage further. She also learned that Krishna Malik, her direct supervisor, was the father-in-law of her cousin, Kusha. She remembered hearing about him at Kusha's wedding but had been too preoccupied with the festivities to meet him.

One day, while immersed in research for Krishna, Jayasvi felt a presence in the room and looked up to see Gajraaj Hooda. Instinctively, she stood up, a mix of nervousness and formality in her demeanor.

"Sir, how may I help you?" she asked softly, her voice tinged with apprehension.

"Jayasvi, please come to my cabin," Gajraaj said, his tone polite but firm.