Chapter 5 The Search [ Year: January 2712 ]

As the 6-4 tries to catch up to Adam in the forest, the surroundings gradually darken as night falls. While there is no time for rest, they also cannot just turn their lights on without making them obvious. They do at least have some kind of search area between them and Lastimosa. But trying to follow a tank is pretty tough when it can go anywhere and does not particularly have to stick to the roads. However they cannot drive as fast as the tank could as the roads are not in great condition.

They need a plan; they know the IMC is searching for him as well, but they have not seen the IMC after the farm incident, nor have they seen anyone chase the tank after it was seen leaving. But they keep it in the back of their mind.
Deciding what to do, they call Lastimosa to make a plan. The longer they wait, the more chance the IMC has to catch Adam. As Gates starts to call Lastimosa on the comm link, Lastimosa accepts the call immediately. Meanwhile Droz stops the truck and the truck comes to a stop with a bit of sliding.

"Lastimosa, we need to come up with a plan. You got any ideas?" Gates says, while going through the possible ideas that she comes up with in her mind.

"Gates, from what we know, he is between you and me. However, he has the advantage of knowing the forest better than us. We just arrived on a small open field with some cover from the skies on the edges. I suggest you come over here so we can set up a proper plan. We will need some eyes in the skies for this." Lastimosa says, while walking back and forth on the small field he is on with BT and Anderson.

"Uhh, Gates. Look over there" Davis interrupts, as he points towards another road that leads to the north. Looking closer, there are some markings of tank threads on the ground that go that direction.

"Well Gates, follow that and keep us updated. Keep sending your location to us and we'll make our way to you." Lastimosa said, while signaling to Anderson and BT that they are heading out.

"Will do, Lastimosa. Gates out."

"Alright Droz, follow that road."

As Droz starts to give gas, the truck barely moves. The truck struggles for traction on the muddy ground, but slowly moves on the road that Davis pointed towards.

As Gates gives Lastimosa their current location and their heading, Lastimosa, BT and Anderson start making their way towards their location, going back into the more dense forest.

While they move they open up the map they received before landing. Anderson notices that the current location of Gates and their direction they are going, leads towards a small beach. Anderson marks a location that appears to overlook the small beach and suggests going there. They make their way towards that location.

Meanwhile the 6-4 is driving slowly on this even worse road. They still see where the tank has driven. But it is becoming more and more difficult to use the truck as the road becomes worse and worse. The truck continues to struggle on this road. Sometimes the wheels lose traction and spin without going anywhere. Reversing and then going forward again does the trick most of the time. But just when they have a small turn in the road, they take the corner a bit too rough, and the truck digs itself into the soft and sticky mud. While Droz gives more gas the only thing that happens was more mud being flung around the truck. Trying to reverse also does nothing. Gates, Davis and Bear get out of the truck to try and push it. But the moment they get out, they also sink into the mud, but that did not stop them. As they struggle and make their way to the back of the truck, they try pushing. But the truck sinks too deep and it does not work. They decided to continue on foot.

"Well, I think it is walking for us going forward. This thing ain't moving." Droz says, while turning the truck off and opening the door to get out. Gates gives a quick update to Lastimosa about the current situation.