Home

(This chapter is written from Seth's perspective. Enjoy!)

Caden and I both stumble a step back from one another, the heat of our shared moment dissolving quickly underneath Grayson's icy stare.

"Are we going or what?"

With wide eyes, I dare a glance at Caden, who looks like he's about to sink into the earth beneath him.

"Uh, can you maybe give me a minute?"

Grayson's eyes narrow. "I've given you one already."

My pleading stare seems to wear him down eventually, and he mutters something under his breath as he goes back to the car and slips into the driver's seat.

Turning to Caden, I notice he looks like he's in physical pain, and I lightly touch the side of his arm to make him look at me.

"It's okay, he didn't see."

"It's not that," Caden mumbles, dropping his head. "You have to leave... now."

"It's not like I'm going far," I tell him in an attempt to lighten his mood.

Caden sighs, lifting his hand to take my elbow in a gentle hold. "I wish..."

"Yes, I know," I assure him, squeezing his biceps softly. It's... wow. "I wish I could stay, too, but you need to work, anyway. I can always come back later."

He slightly perks up at this. "When?"

I let out a chuckle, wrapping my arms around his neck and allowing myself to be swept up in a warm embrace. It's almost unbelievable how much he has to bend down for this. "Soon. I'll call you."

Feeling him sigh into the crook of my neck makes me shiver a little, relishing in this closeness that I didn't know how much I needed until now.

"Okay," he concedes, sounding so disappointed that it's hard to keep myself from laughing. "I hope everything goes well with your family."

"Thank you," I whisper, reluctant to let go. When I finally break away from the hug, Caden seems like he's in deep thought for a moment.

"Don't wait too long to call," he urges me, looking a bit worried. "I know there's these rules about how long to wait, but don't mind those. I won't think it's too much."

"Not three days then?"

He visibly winces. "Please no."

"I'll call you tonight," I promise, pressing a quick kiss on his cheek before walking to the door, my eyes still on his.

He seems almost mesmerized as he watches me go, and I can't thank my lucky stars enough to have met someone so sweet and caring. Maybe this is a chance for me to make up for all the time I spent thinking nobody would ever look at me like that... and I hope it's also an opportunity for him to learn how important he is. It bothers me how little he believes in himself, and I want to show him there's no reason for that.

When I get into the passenger seat, I'm still floating on a cloud somewhere, nearly oblivious to Grayson's irritated grumbling next to me.

"If I'd known you'd take so long, I'd have closed the shop an hour later."

Rolling my eyes, I turn to look at his profile as he glares at the road ahead. "I wasn't that long. It'd be unfair not to at least say goodbye before I leave."

"Caden's a big boy, he can handle it."

Frowning, I wonder just how much that attitude from everyone else has contributed to Caden acting like he's okay all the time when he's clearly struggling with himself.