New years

Thank you to the people who read my story and are patient with me! I appreciate those who encourage me (anyone who actually reads it) to write this story. Please share with your friends to help me get more reads! As you can tell, this isn't a very popular book and it is amateur work. Thank you!

~~~~~~~~~~

It's new years eve and Justin is leaving tomorrow back to college. Yay! I'm in the mall with charlie and Ana shopping for new years outfits because my parents are throwing a huge party with all of their friends and they told me to invite anyone I wanted. Of course... I only invited Charlie and Ana because they are my only friends.

We go into a fancy dress/tux place and Ana goes off on her own to find a dress in her size. Charlie leaves me to go find a tux and I go to a section to find a dress for myself. I see a purple dress with sequence that is strapless with a v-neck. I get a dressing room and try it on. The dress goes down mid thigh on me and I feel so beautiful in it. I change back into my clothes and get out of the stall and go find Charlie.

"Hey Charlie, did you find a tux that you like?" I asked.

"No. There isn't much to choose from. I'll just look somewhere else later I guess."

"Okay, well, where's Ana?"

"Right here!" Ana says happily making me turn to look at her. She was wearing a short black dress that made her look so classy and like a woman. It made me tear up a little seeing her look so beautiful and grown up.

"Ana You look so beautiful oh my gosh!" I tell her.

"Um.. Well.. Maybe you should.. Um.. Try some others.." Charlie said while looking uncomfortable.

"Charlie! I really like this one though!" Ana pleaded. I could tell Charlie didn't like seeing his little sister looking so grown up.

"Alright but.. Just.. Don't take any drinks from any guys.." Charlie says with total seriousness.

"Oh Charlie stop it!! You're being ridiculous" Ana says giggling.

"Okay you guys... Let's buy our stuff and leave. I'm sure heather is wondering where I am instead of being with her, helping with decorations." I say.

I paid for mine and Ana's stuff for tonight and then we went back to my car and I took them home. When I got back to my house heather was already done decorating so I just went to my room. I hung my dress up on my bathroom door and checked the time. 4:30. I grabbed some leggings and a long sleeve cotton shirt and started to draw a bath in my bathroom when I heard a knock on my door. Probably heather. I opened my door and sure enough it was her.

"Yes heather?"

"Where have you been all day?"

"I was with Charlie and Ana shopping for our outfits for tonight."

"Okay well dinner is ready. Eat please."

"I already ate. I'm just going to take a bath and then take a nap so I'm not tired for the party." I lied about eating because if heather knew I haven't eaten since Christmas then she would put me in the hospital and then leave me there. What's a little lie?

"Alright. The party starts at 11 so be ready okay?"

"Okay." And with that I shut the door and took my bath.

I woke up at 10 and got ready for the party by putting my dress on and doing my hair and makeup. I was ready shortly after 11 and already I heard the doorbell ring. I heard heather yell up the stairs to me saying it was Charlie and Ana. I walked downstairs and Charlie just stared at me in aw. I felt pretty for once but knew that feeling would go away soon enough. The doorbell rings again and I answer it this time. I'm greeted by a familiar and bright smile.

"Hey Alice how are you doing?" Ella asks.

"I'm doing fine thanks for asking. How about you?"

"Just wonderful. I have a holiday gift for you we can talk about one on one" She says with a big smile followed by a warm hug.

"Sounds good. Party is going to be in there" as I point in the direction of the ballroom (empty living room).

Everyone arrives by 11:30 or shortly after. Once it's midnight Heather is going to set off confetti blasters and balloons. I don't want to be here for that..  I'll go outside and wait for Ella to give me  my Christmas present. I write Ella a note saying to meet me outside after midnight and after minutes of searching I finally find her and give it to her. She reads the note and then nods her head in acknowledgement. I find charlie and we go upstairs to my room and we talk till midnight. Once it's midnight he leans forwards and kisses me. I'm caught off guard and tell him I have to go. I can tell he feels hurt so I stop in my doorway and tell him I told Ella to meet me outside after midnight and he feels better. I run down the stairs and then walk the rest of the way so my body calms down. I go outside and see Ella and go straight for her. We talk for a little bit until she finally mentions my present.

"So I talked to my boss and tried to get your adoption papers. He said you would have to agree to the adoption and your foster parents would have to sign it also.." Ella trails off.

"Wait, I don't understand.. Charles and Heather want to adopt me?" I am utterly confused because never has this ever been brought up to me. 

"No, no,no... Did you not get my letter I wrote to you a month ago?"

"I have no idea about any letter. Although Heather throws away all the mail I receive so that's no surprise. Why...? What's going on?"

"Well about a month ago I wrote a letter to you explaining my plans to try and adopt you. I know what you go through here and you have always been like a daughter to me anyways. So I thought, why not?" 

"That's very kind of you Ella...I don't quite know what to say. Why would Charles and Heather have to agree though?"

"Because they are trying to adopt you too now. See, it's gotten very difficult. When I first sent the letter all I had to do to adopt you was have you sign a paper okaying it but now Heather has threatened to go to court. I just want to know if you're willing to wait a few months till we get all this settled."

"Of course I do... I can't be here anymore Ella... I'm dying here." 

"I know Alice. Things will get worked out okay? They can't possibly let you stay here with these people when you want to be somewhere else."

"Thank you Ella. I will talk with you soon?"

"Of course. Goodnight sunshine"

"Good night."

I go inside and go straight though everyone and go to my room. Charlie is gone and there's a note.
"Alice, Ana and I had to leave. We left out the side door so we wouldn't disturb your conversation with Ella. Thanks for the kiss.... Goodnight xx".

At first, I lay in bed and cry thinking about the possible outcomes of Ella trying to adopt me. I can't stay here with this horrible "family". For the past year I've been saving the money heather gives me for eating out when they aren't home and school lunches. I keep it hidden away just in case I can get away and start a new life far away from here.

I roll off my bed because I'm tired of thinking. I hop in the shower to scrub all this makeup off. Then, I get out and go to bed.