Dinner

"Hello sunshine"

"ELLA!" Ella chuckles

"How are you darling?"

"I'm doing okay. What about you? How come you're here? Are you our special guest staying for dinner?"

"I'm doing okay as well. I'm just here to make sure eveything's going smooth. Yes I suppose I'm you're 'special guest'."

"Alright then. Come on in this way." I lead her over to our dining room where Heather was Just finishing setting up the table. 

"Where's Mr. Calaway?" Ella asks. Before I said anything, Heather pipes up and says,

"He's on his way here from the store. I totally forgot that we didn't have any wine!"

"Oh.. I don't drink. I'll just have water of something." 

"Oh dear me! I suppose I should have asked. We have sparkling cider, soda, water, cranberry juice and milk."

"That's quite a selection. I'll have some cranberry juice please."

"Alright, I'll get that for you then. Please, take any seat. Dinner will be served in just a moment."

        Ella and I take a seat sitting across from each other. Charles walks through the house and into the dinning room. "Mom?" He asks. "Kitchen" I answer. He goes in there for a while and then they both come out after a couple minuets bringing dinner with them. They set it on the table and sit down. Everyone dishes up and starts eating.

"So Alice, how are you doing?" Ella asks me again but I answer anyways because I know they're routine check up questions.

"I'm good." 

"And your first day of school? How was it?"

"It was..It was fine. It's school." Ella chuckles at my answer.

"That's true. Are you still friends with Charlie?"

"Of course."

"Glad to hear." I take a sip of my drink.

"Still happy living here?" I didn't get to answer that because Heather chimes in.

"Of course she is. Why wouldn't she be." I just nod and Ella gives me an apologetic look. 

"Well I'm sorry if I offended you Heather, but I asked Alice, not you."

"It's fine. Everything's fine." I say.

"See? Everything's fine." Heather says with annoyance.

"I think I'll be going now. Thank you for the dinner." And with that, Ella gets up and walks out the door.

"Well that was rude." Heather says. I roll my eyes and get up and run out the door. I catch her right before she gets in her car. 

"Ella!"

"Oh. Hi Alice. I'm sorry for storming out like that but Heather can be a handful can't she?"

"Yeah... She can."

"Well, I hope you have a good night. I must be going now. Goodbye Alice."

"Goodbye Ella."

        I go inside and tell Heather that I'm not hungry and that I'll be in my room the rest of the night. She shoos me away and I run upstairs. I change into my pj's and turn on a movie. Once it's over it's 9pm, so I crawl into my bed and fall asleep.