26 - Mom Surprise

A few days later I was sitting in the office at the apartment trying to get some work done where there was a knock on the door. I got up and answered it knowing I was expecting a delivery of replacements of things that were ruining in the building explosion, but I was shocked when I opened the door.

"Mom!" I said and she wrapped me in a tight hug.

"Oh, thank god I found you! I was so worried!" She panicked and I just groaned.

"What are you doing here?" I asked as she continued to hug me but then refused to let go. "Can't breathe mom."

She released me and looked me over.

"You look good considering..."

We both walked into the apartment, and I noticed my mother's suitcase.

"Considering I almost had a building fall on me?" I questioned as I walked to the fridge and grabbed a bottle of water. I offered her one and she took it.

"Don't be so crass Bailey, I raised you better." She snipped sitting on a stool at our small kitchen island.

"I'm speaking the truth mom, I don't know what else you want me to say." I quipped.

"Just don't be crass Bailey. God, you have bene around the firefighters too much. You are starting to talk like them." Melinda said.

"Mom, that is just me not the firefighters, they are actually some of the best people." I smiled thinking of everyone at the firehouse.

"I just don't know why you left Springfield for all of this..." Melinda said and looked around.

"Mom, I left Springfield because I had nothing there. I moved her because I have dad and Kelly. I love it here." I explained.

"You love Kelly."

"That too." I answered. "How did you hear about the accident?" I asked

"The news."

"My name wasn't on the news..." I said.

"Your father called when you were in the hospital. Unfortunately, I was away on a cruise and couldn't get back until now. I came directly here." Melinda said and I just rolled my eyes.

"Well, that's so sweet of you mom." I said trying to hide the snark in my voice.

I noticed she was looking around the apartment. "Where is the loving boyfriend?" Melinda asked.

"Working." I said.

"I would love to go to the firehouse, meet everyone I don't know."

"What are you playing at?" I asked and she sighed.

"Can't a mother just show interest in what her daughter is doing and try to be nice to her father and boyfriend?" Melinda asked.

"No because it's not you." I said.

I just looked at her and huffed a laugh.

"Grant left you, didn't he?" I asked. She hung her head, and I just huffed a laugh.

"You have nowhere to go since you were living in his house. You came here hoping I could take you in..." I trailed off and she just shook her head.

"Not entirely."

"Yes, it is! This was never about my health or well-being. This was about what you needed! It's always about you!" I yelled and she didn't say anything.

"Fine! Okay!  I need a place to stay! I don't know what to do with my life anymore! I only knew being a mother and having Grant in my life. Now that I'm alone...I don't know what to do!" Melinda raised her voice.