Chapter 5

"Lemurkit, Fishfang's gonna kill the one with the broken jaw! What are we going to do?!" Her sister whispered frantically. Lemurkit shook her head.

"Brightshine will save him. I am sure." She said firmly. Something told her nothing more would happen. She knew, she would bet her own life on it.

Turtlekit nodded tightly. "Brightshine just shoved Fishfang aside! Oh, StarClan help her!" Turtlekit whispered. Lemurkit smiled.

"Don't worry, Turtlekit. I know she will succeed."

No sooner had the words left her lips when her mother yowled. "Stop! I will care for both kits, no matter what. He has no mental or physical defects that disimprove his performance! Therefore he would make a fine addition to our fair clan! Am I not right?" Lemurkit purred to herself. Wise words, mother. There was a long and thoughtful pause, and Lemurkit heard Turtlekit bite a claw-sheathe.

Then Morningstar shifted her long tabby tail. "Very well. I see a point in this. He will be Brokenkit, and the other will be Fangkit. You are dismissed. Heronpaw, go to the correct den tonight," she added with a snarl to the tom. "Splashflight is not permitted to heal you. You are to heal yourself until you are a full member again." And with that Morningstar stalked away silently to her den, leaving silent murmurs of confusion to ripple throughout the crown that had gathered. A burial patrol came to drag Venomrain's lifeless body roughly away to dig a grave.

"She did it!" Turtlekit cheered quietly. "Oh StarClan she did it!" Lemurkit nodded, shoving her sister playfully.

"Told you!" She purred. "She was fine!" And with a big yawn, she curled around her sister again, preparing to resume her sleep.

~•~¥~•~

(Three moons later. Lemurkit is now four moons)

Lemurkit opened her eyes. Sensing the presence of Brokenkit, she laughed. "Hi Brokenkit." She purred, happy to see her friend.

Brokenkit's return was hesitant, but his response was abrupt and straightforward. He tipped his head to one side. "What are you looking at?"

Lemurkit felt a chill go through her spine. "I-I wasn't looking at anything! I w-was looking at you!" She stammered, wrapping her tail nervously around her paws. She was painfully aware of the sweat burning her forehead. It felt like acid, burning her skin with guilt and fear.

Brokenkit paused. "No, Lemurkit. You were staring at my right ear..." He gave another thoughtful pause. Lowering his voice, he touched his tail to her shoulder. "Are you blind?" He whispered.