Chapter 11

Brightshine ushered her to the medicine den as soon as the closing yowl was heard, and took another slap to the face when she refused to let Morningstar start training right away.

"She can't train with that cut! You put it deeper than needed! Shes limping!" Brightshine had protested.

Morningstar only shrugged. "Thats her problem. Do what you want, she's training tomorrow though," she said and stalked off. Brightshine ignored her own blood dripping down her nose and licked her daughter's face lovingly.

"Let's go see Splashflight," she soothed. "Come on..."

*****

Lemurpaw stared into the black nothingness. "Hello?"

A gleaming pair of red eyes stood out in the blackness. "Save us!" It hissed, eyes evil slits.

Lemurpaw backed away. "W-What do I d-do?! H-How?" She cried, shaking her head in fear. Suddenly her paws stepped on air, and she was dangling from an invisible cliff, paws scrabbling for a hold.

"Help me!" She screamed. The gleaming eyes hissed.

"You didn't help us! Why should we help you?" It said in an echoed voice, grating Lemurpaw's ears like claws on twoleg metal. "You shouldn't ignore us and expect help!" Lemurpaw's claws were slipping. Hanging by five claws, four, three, two...

"Help! Please!!!" Lemurpaw cried again. The shadowy cat snorted, and placed a paw on Lemurpaw's slipping claws.

"Help yourself!!" It cackled and pushed her, and Lemurpaw was falling, screaming, hurtling in the black abyss until she heard a thud, a throbbing pain shot through her, and then... Peace.

*****

"Wake up, you little twit! It's time for training!" Morningstar poked her sharp claws into Lemurpaw's back. She winced.

"Coming!" She cried, hurrying to the entrance of the den. Her side throbbed, as if her dream was real. But then, how would she be alive? She fell off a cliff!

With a groan, she pulled herself to the entrance of the camp. "Can I eat first?" She asked, rubbing her eyes. Her belly chose this time to let out an indignant growl. Morningstar growled, but didn't respond. She padded forward.

Lemurpaw struggled after her, trying to keep up. "What are we doing today?" Lemurpaw asked.

Morningstar grunted. "Combat. You will fight your sister, claws out, to show what you know. Then we will train." She said flatly. Lemurpaw shivered.

Fight her sister?