Chapter 20

Lemurtail wailed and froze, but Morningstar suddenly dissolved into a mist. Brokenpaw was alive, and staring at her questioningly. Lemurtail panted and ran to him, throwing her paws around his neck in a hug.

"Y-You were dead!" She whispered, tears on her cheeks. He pulled away, puzzled.

"Lemurtail, I never was hurt... You just froze and started to sob..." He began, his tone concerned. Lemurtail finally understood.

"The time of the Morning Star is near..." She cried, her eyes wide. "Oh no..."

*****

Lemurtail sat beside Turtleface, training her eyes to the sky. Morningstar had clambered out of the nursery for this announcement.

"Fishfang, bring Spottedfern forward, now." Morningstar growled. Gasps erupted in the crowd as the deputy shoved the old she cat forward.

"This cat has been found near the border after running away! This cat will be killed."

Brightshine shifted beside Lemurtail. "No... Surely Fallingfeather will stop her! Please, StarClan save her!" Her mother whispered.

"Brightshine, come here!" Morningstar said. Brightshine stepped forward. "Kill her."

"I will not kill my mother!" She said before anyone else could speak. "Kill me if you like, but I won't do it!" She screamed. Turtleface let out a strangled gasp into Lemurtail's fur. No...

Morningstar smiled. "Yewpaw, bring me the deathberries." She cooed. Lemurtail stiffened, and buried her face in Turtleface's shoulder. The two sisters hugged each other.

Yewpaw hurried past Lemurtail with a bundle of berries, and set them beside Morningstar.

"Brightshine, you will eat three berries, or kill your mother. You choose." She said softly. Brightshine looked back at her daughters and moved closer, to lick each of them.

"I love you, baby. Don't watch, loves," she whispered, her voice cracking. Turtleface sobbed, and Brightshine ran to Morningstar and snatched up the berries. "I'd rather die defiant than live in shame!" She screamed and gulped down all three berries.

Lemurtail fought herself from running up to help when she heard the screams of agony coming from her mother, and held back her sisters shaking body. When the screams finally subsided, Morningstar flicked her tail.

"Take the prisoner and kill her. Then take the body and bury it. Dismissed." Morningstar hobbled down and disappeared into the nursery.

============================

Sorry its so short! And sorry lexy1019 i cried. But she died a hero. <3