Chapter 31: Rekindling at the Wedding

The wedding reception was in full swing, with twinkling lights casting a soft glow over the outdoor venue. Tyler and his new bride looked radiant as they mingled with guests, their happiness infectious. Layla watched from a distance, her heart swelling with joy for her friend.

She had spent the earlier part of the evening catching up with old friends and reminiscing about their shared memories. Tyler had been busy with his duties as the groom, but now, as the night progressed, Layla spotted him making his way toward her.

"Layla!" Tyler exclaimed, pulling her into a warm hug. "I'm so glad you could make it."

"Me too, Tyler," Layla replied, returning the hug with a smile. "You look amazing. Congratulations again."

"Thank you," Tyler said sincerely, his eyes filled with gratitude. "It means a lot that you're here."

They found a quiet corner to catch up, surrounded by the joyful chatter of guests and the soft strains of music in the background. They reminisced about their high school days, sharing laughs over old inside jokes and cherished moments they had shared.

"I've missed this, Layla," Tyler admitted, his gaze sincere. "You and me, just talking like this."

Layla nodded, feeling a rush of nostalgia for their friendship that had stood the test of time. "I've missed it too, Tyler. It's good to be back."

As they continued to talk, Layla felt a tap on her shoulder. She turned to see Ashton standing there, a soft smile playing on his lips. "May I have this dance?"

Layla's heart skipped a beat at the sight of him, memories of their shared past flooding her mind. She glanced at Tyler, who gave her an encouraging nod before stepping aside to give them space.

"Of course, Ashton," Layla replied, her voice barely above a whisper.

Ashton led her to the dance floor, his hand warm and steady in hers. They moved together in sync with the music, the world around them fading into the background as they lost themselves in the moment.

"You look beautiful tonight, Layla," Ashton murmured, his eyes locked on hers.

Layla blushed, feeling a warmth spread through her cheeks. "Thank you, Ashton. You look pretty handsome yourself."

They danced in comfortable silence for a while, the familiar intimacy between them reigniting with every step they took. It was as if no time had passed at all, their connection stronger than ever.

"I've missed you, Layla," Ashton confessed softly, his voice filled with sincerity.

Layla met his gaze, her heart racing with a mix of emotions. "I've missed you too, Ashton."

Ashton pulled her closer, his touch gentle yet possessive. "Can we try again, Layla? Can we see where this takes us?"

Layla's breath caught in her throat, her mind racing with the possibilities. She searched Ashton's eyes, finding the answer she had been longing for.

"I'm not sure, Ashton," Layla whispered, her voice filled with confidence. "I have a whole career in New York and I'm not sure I'm ready to give that up"

And as they continued to dance under the starlit sky, surrounded by the love and laughter of friends, Layla knew that this moment meant something but she wasn't sure what it meant—was she ready to try again with Ashton or should she leave him for good?