wrong timing

"your food is always soooo good, mariko!" the girl said while still chewing the food in her mouth.

the other girls looked at her in disgust, "hanami don't talk with food in your mouth," the setter scolded.

the setter-ace-libero trio sat at the dinning table in mariko's house, eating the freshly-made curry udon their captain had cooked. they had offered the other boys to join them, but they chose to rest at home instead.

"who do we play tomorrow?" yamada asked.

"date tech, i think," the captain replied. "we're set to play niiyama in the semi-finals after that as well."

the girls silently tensed up.

"we'll be fineeee," the libero smiled. "you two have been working your asses off for years, and i know you'll take us to nationals!"

the two upperclassmen smiled at her. they had lost against niiyama's team many times in their junior high and high school years. they'd be lying if they said they weren't scared about the match.

the girls laughed it off, just enjoying their meal together.

after showering and getting ready for bed, the girls set up their futons on the floor of mariko's bedroom. they figured that they should just sleep over since they'll be off at their tournament the next day.

mariko stared at the dark ceiling above her as she lay in bed while the other two girls were fast asleep and snoring.

she sighed and closed her eyes again before drifting off to sleep, terrified for what was to come the next day.

-----

"thank you for the game!" the girls said.

their match against date tech was went by like a breeze. though the school's known for their "iron wall," it stood no chance against mariko's spikes.

"she's strong," one boy said in awe.

"she's been the ace for kitagawa daiichi and seijoh since her second year of junior high," another added. "they say her spikes felt like if you were to be hit by a bowling ball."

they watched the girl walk off the court and into the hallway with her team.

"she's a beauty as well," the boy added again. "i should ask her ou-"

the two felt a dark aura behind them and turned around to see seijoh's ace glaring at them, followed by their other three year players behind their ace.

they shrieked, "excuse us! we're sorry!"

the boys ran out of the gymnasium as the seijoh boys laughed.

"it's not nice to make people shit themselves like that, iwa-chan!" oikawa giggled.

the boy scoffed, "so you want me to let them talk about mariko like that?"

"or you can just ignore them," matsukawa smirked, "are you guys even dating? last time i checked, her and yamada were 'married'."

"i just don't want her going out with someone she doesn't even know," he retorted.

"you jealoussss?" hanamaki nudged him with a smirk.

"oh shut up!"

they continued to twase the boy as they walked to the next gymnasium, where they were playing against karasuno. as they walked by the entrance, oikawa paused and watched a couple walk past them.

the others looked at him, confused.

"what's wrong," matsukawa asked.

the captain looked back at them and caught up, "it's nothing, just saw someone i think i know."