Chapter 94: Last Standing

The place was filled with tension as Deborah's final court meeting drew to a close. Victoria, Vanessa, Agnes, Nene, and Jia had gathered outside the courthouse, their expressions ranging from anger and never talked.

Lilliani stood off to the side, her hands wringing nervously as she observed the group. The normally gossiping and cheerful sisters were uncharacteristically quiet, they purposely ignore each other.

The court doors swung open, and the defendants emerged, their heads bowed in defeat. The verdict had been delivered – they were found guilty and sentenced to serve time in jail.

A small sense of relief washed over Lilliani, but the sober mood of her sisters dampened her excitement.

As the criminals were led away, the five women remained silent, their gazes fixed on the retreating figures. Lilliani hesitated, unsure of whether to approach them or give them space to process the outcome.

The sisters slowly turned and began to make their way down the steps together, their footsteps heavy and their shoulders slumped.

Lilliani fell into step beside them, her eyes darting from one face to the next, searching for any sign of triumph or satisfaction.

But there was none. The women walked in silence, their expressions etched with a deep-seated sadness that Lilliani couldn't quite comprehend.  attempts would be rebuffed.

As they finally left the building and walked to the silent parking lot, Victoria turned to Lilliani, her expression softening as she leaned in and whispered softly, "Lilliani, I was wondering if you could do me a favor. Is there any way that baby Maddie and baby Lauren could stay with me? I'll make sure the payments are always on time, I promise."

The other sisters heard Victoria's request and Nene felt a surge of offense rise within her. She stepped forward, her brow furrowed in anger.

"Are you implying that we're all just a bunch of criminals too?"

Victoria held her ground, "My babies don't deserve to be surrounded by bad influences. I can't take that risk, not after everything that's happened."

Nene's anger continued to boil over as she stood her ground, her voice rising with emotion. "How dare you, Victoria? You act as if you're the only one who's innocent here. Let's not forget that you were just as involved in all of this as the rest of us!"

Victoria bristled, her eyes narrowing defensively. "My children's wellbeing is the priority here, Nene. I can't take the risk of having them around people who have been involved in criminal activities. It's not safe for them."

Agnes stepped forward, her own anger fueling her words. "Oh, so you think you're so much better than us, do you? As if you didn't commit your own fair share of questionable acts? Don't you dare act like you're above us, Victoria."

Nene opened her mouth to retort, "And let's not forget, Vicky, your children are the reason we couldn't be as free to do what we needed to do. You always put their needs first, as if they should be our obligation too!"

Victoria took a deep, steadying breath, her voice measured and calm despite the simmering anger brewing within her. "Don't worry, Nene. I'll be taking my children with me someday. I'm going to prioritize getting them their visas so they don't have to be around all of this." She gestured around them, her gaze sweeping over her sisters.

Nene's eyes widened, her nostrils flaring with indignation. "You don't trust me? After everything we've been through?"

Victoria's lips curled into a mocking smile, her eyes narrowing. "Next time, Nene, if you don't want to get into trouble, maybe you should try seeing a counselor. We wouldn't want you to become a future murderer, now would we? How you only care about yourself stealing all my money for your own gain"