The New Farmer Boy

Computer sounds could be heard from, a few coughs and sniffs every now and then were heard. In one of the cubicles was a lanky man slouching in his seat as he stared at his computer screen. Is this really my life? He thought as he continued to stare, his eyes finally led to the drawer in his desk. Grandpa's letter, he didn't know this day would come so soon but maybe he needs to open his letter, maybe his life needed to change.

— — NO ONES POV — —
There that same lanky man stood, his dark, curly hair almost covering his big brown eyes. He had a simple green shirt on and some overalls, he was wearing a pair of black converse shoes which had already gotten dirty. He was already starting to sweat a little as the sun was scorching down on him on the first day of spring. It was slightly comforting he thought, it reminded him of grandpa, he used to visit his grandpa every now and then as a child but never met the residents around Pelican Town. He slightly wished he had visited more, he felt a wave of guilt wash over him but he quickly shook it off as he saw a man with a green hat and a lady with orange hair.

They walked up towards the future farmer and introduced themselves. The man with the green hat was Mayor Lewis, grandpa had mentioned him before and in the letter too, and the lady with orange hair was Robin, the towns carpenter. That's useful to know the farmer thought, he was stuck in his own thoughts without realising they asked him a question, his name? he paused for a moment and began to speak, "Jace is the name".
———
They had led him to the farm, he had felt bad when they were walking over, he was stuck in his own thoughts that he barely showed any consideration that they welcomed him into their town. As they got to the farm Jace's mouth hung wide open, was this really the farm he used to come and visit? Everything is so overgrown however will he clean it all up?!

He went towards his little house he would be staying in, he couldn't get rid of the fact that his grandpa was gone, when he opens the door his grandpa's comforting voice and laugh wouldn't be heard, just am abandoned home would be seen, nothing more. He noticed that Lewis and Robin were leaving "Thank you!!" Jace yelled towards them, They laughed and waved back as "he seems to be energetic" Lewis mutters to Robin "well we need more optimistic in this town anyway" Robin muttered back as they walked back towards the town.

—— JACE'S POV ——

God why did I decide to move again... How will I clean all this up!! And i barely know shit about farming! I thought to myself as i look at grandpa's old house. I can't go inside just yet, I know grandpa won't be there i just can't open the door i really can't. I quickly wipe my eyes before more tears stream down my face. Maybe i should visit the town? I should make a good first impression after all.

I open my backpack and grab a hat due to the scorching hot weather and i start to walk towards the town, everything is so natural, Zulu city was not like this at all, this will take a lot getting used to. I had gotten to the town and the first thing i see is the clinic, I wonder who manages the clinic! I start to open the blue door as it creaks open, i see a lady with short hair and glasses, it looks like she works at the front desk!

I see her look up at me as her eyes slightly lit up, she was about to say something, but i end up saying something first "hi!! I'm Jace i just moved into the town's farm" She seemed surprised about how enthusiastic i am. I saw her eyes crinkle up as se smiled "great to meet you farmer boy, i'm Maru! I work at the front desk of this clinic obviously and I live in the mountains north of Pelican Town, it's connected to my mom's carpenter shop".

Her mom must be Robin! i smiled at Maru and looked at my watch, 5pm already!? where the hell did the time go?? visible shock was spread across my face, and i heard a giggle from Maru "time goes fast in Pelican Town, you'll get used to it Jace" she said. "your right about that! Well, i got to go but I'll see you around Maru!" I wave and walk outside, I noticed that most of the town's people were walking to it think the town's saloon? It is friday so it makes sense that everybody's going to the saloon.

This is a great opportunity to meet everybody !! i feel excitement go through me, i love meeting people and becoming friends with people, even though i may seem awkward at first and i get socially tired pretty quick.. I walk towards the saloon and open the door "Gus give me another!!" I heard a lady's raspy voice shout over the saloon's music. Wow it's busy in here.

—— SHANE'S POV ——

I look down at my cup as i swirl the remaining beer that's in my cup, i'm totally out of it, i can barely hear Pam anymore and that says a lot. Should i leave or maybe i should take a few more cold ones.. doesn't hurt i guess. I hear the saloon door creak open, as i can smell a hint of fresh grass enter the saloon, oh. the new farmer.

buh, i hope he doesn't come over here, well i don't think he will, he's too busy meeting everybody. He's awfully enthusiastic too, eurgh makes me wanna throw up the rest of my beer. My liver's practically begging me to stop at this point, i should call it a night.

I take a last swig of my beer and place it on the table, i feel tipsy, not really a new thing though. i hear footsteps approaching me, that same smell of fresh grass lingering. great he's come here to talk hasn't he? "Hey im Jace the new farmer nice to meet you!!" he had a soft voice surprisingly, i look up and see a wide grin plastered across his face. "and who are you?"

1086 words, 1/7/24, monday

a/n .... hey! im not sure if this will get any attraction, and even if it doesn't ill keep writing anyway. but if you did read this then thank you! im actually on break right now so a new chapter will probably drop everyday. anyway have a nice day and thanks for reading !