Chapter Fifteen

*Italics are in spoken English (Scottish accent)

"And he's having a good day?" Jen asked into her phone.

"He seems to be! He remembered my name, and opened his gift. I was surprised. I said you would be visiting soon and he knew you were his daughter. His cough sounds a bit nasty though"

"Oh. Well hopefully we will catch a good moment, I'll ask them about his cough too" Jen frowned.

"I hope so. Call me and let me know how it goes?"

"I will. You're sure you don't want to come over tonight?"

"No we're going to have... some romance"

"Oooh Santa will be coming tonight"

"Mrs Claus better come first otherwise Santa falls asleep, and she has to whip out a toy to finish the job" Ali grumbled.

"Oh Ali pops. Get it girl"

"I'll speak to you later. Oooooh I'm excited, and nervous and I cannot imagine how you feel!"

"Well. I cannot have anything left in my bladder or bowels" Jen sighed.

"And they're coming in..."

"About three minutes"

"Love you"

"Love you. I'll let you know how it goes. God I'm so scared"

"It'll be fine"

"Bye Ali" Jen put the phone down and went to the bathroom again.

"Ok. Gifts, instant camera, gifts for the staff, tangerine in the stocking" Jen felt like she wanted to chew her own face off with nerves. She had never introduced anyone she was seeing to her Father, ever, no one had been serious enough. Her Father was the most important man in her life, and that wouldn't change.

Before she got lost in her thoughts, the intercom rang

"Do you want to come up or me to come
down?"

"We're ready if you are?" Namjoon spoke, his velvety voice doing little to calm her nerves.

"I'll be down in a second" Jen quickly grabbed her things, pulling on her shoes at the bottom of the stairs.

"Ok?"

"Umm yes. I think so" Jen nodded as Namjoon took her hand and hugged her tightly, gently rubbing her hand up and down her back.

"You don't have to do this, you can just go and we can wait outside for you"

"No. I want you to meet him, I want him to meet you. All of you"

"And you're ok with us coming in after a few moments?"

"Yes. Just so I can talk with him and open the side door. Ali said he's having a good day"

"I'm glad. Come on then. Let's go and meet my future father in law" Namjoon smiled as Jen's stomach almost feel out onto the path.

As they drove to the Care home, Jen realised they all had crisp shirts on, smart trousers. There was a gift bag on a spare seat. Gone were their usual casual looks. They were smart. She smiled to herself, they made an effort. They had agreed when they arrived, they would stay in the car until she had talked with her father privately, and then she would come and get them.

"Ok. I won't be long" she took in a breath as she looked at the bare trees, the twinkling Christmas lights in the window of the old house. It was a small but homely facility, that prided themselves on making sure residents had a home from home feeling. They had home cooked meals, and each room was decorated beautifully, it didn't feel sterile. Her father had chosen this one himself, and Jen was grateful he was well enough to make the decision.