06 | Aiden

I was spending too much time with her. I wasn't supposed to sit down and talk to her yesterday. I could barely even hear her leg bouncing from where I was sitting. But when I had looked up and seen her, anxiously waiting, I felt the need to go over to her.

Shit. I don't go for coffee runs, especially with women I'm supposed to be staying away from. It's only for Carrie's sake. But since when did I care what my kid sister told me to do?

Fucking hell. But when that car almost hit her yesterday, I was a few seconds away from chasing down the driver and beating the shit out of them. I had gotten angry at her. Angry. And for some reason, it had made me feel so guilty, I just had to hold her for a second.

Evangeline had given in, wrapping her tiny arms around me. And that one movement had me pulling her even closer. She was so vulnerable, had seemed so fragile in that moment. But I knew better. She was a force to be reckoned with, and was very intimidating. When she wanted to be. But knowing that she had trusted me enough to hold her? I wanted to tuck away the semblance of fragility she had allowed herself to give to me and store it away someplace safe. Somewhere no one would torment her about it for.

And now, I had been thinking of her for far too long. She was just annoying. Like Carrie. Constantly around me, in my space. No one had ever dared to stand up to me like she had. If it didn't pique my interest, I would have left her alone.

But she was so fun to rile up, to see that fire in her eyes. I was just going to have to deal with her, because Carrie, for some reason, adored her.

After she found out we knew each other, Evangeline was practically all she talked about. Ms. Evangeline this, Ms. Evangeline that. It irked me slightly, but if Evangeline being around was helping her socialize, then I would allow it.

But these hospital visits were getting very frequent. I was there almost every day, and if not, at least every other day. Her moronic doctor had told me her condition was deteriorating slowly, and he didn't know how much longer she would hold out for her.

I had almost socked him in the face, but that would have had me removed from the vicinity, and probably also the visiting list. And I couldn't do that. I couldn't leave my sister alone in there, with no one else. Especially with Mom busy doing who knows what.

The search for her 100% bone marrow match was proving to be almost impossible. I had tried to donate, but the doctors had said I wasn't good enough of a match. And it fucking killed me. We were siblings. I was statistically supposed to have the highest chance of being able to donate to her, to save her, but I couldn't.

I took the elevator up to Carrie's floor, and once I reached it, chaos ensued. There were nurses and doctors flying across the hallway preparing for something, a stretcher transporting a patient somewhere, and frantic hospital visitors trying to move out of the way.

The stretcher was getting closer to me. The stretcher... Had my sister on it. I watched for a second as they ran with her to likely the operating room before launching out of the elevator after her.

I chased them for I don't know how long, all the way to a room labeled the Operating Room. I flagged down a doctor who was about to go in.

"You're not supposed to be here, sir. This place has to be sterilized before the surgery, and any outside germs can be detrimental to the patient." He was about to get into surgical attire.

"That girl is my sister. Can you just tell me what happened to her?"

He hadn't answered my question when he slipped inside the room and closed the door.

"Hey!" I banged on the window to the Operating Room when suddenly, small arms wrapped around my waist and pulled me back. "What the fuck?"

This smell was familiar. It was a hint of apples and vanilla.