20 | Evangeline

this chapter comes with a warning
. . . . .

The lights in the bar were flashy, the heavy bass of the music causing my heart to thrum. I danced along with Selena, rolling my eyes when I saw her slip away into the crowd, hand in hand with someone. I wouldn't butt into her business. If she needed me, she would let me know.

The scent of alcohol drifted through the air, but it was tinged with something else... Desire. All around me, people had roaming hands and eyes, and they shamelessly grinded along each other in a haze.

I could admit, it did look interesting, to say the least. Hands made their way to my hips from behind me, and I spared a glance to see a man with blonde hair and green eyes grinning down at me.

"Dance with me?" He asked, and I obliged him if only to take Selena's advice on 'having fun.'

I swayed my hips, and he moved with me to the sultry music playing in the bar. The mood shifted dangerously, the tension almost palpable. This wasn't horrible, but it had always seemed so strange when I was watching Selena or one of her friends indulge in it.

"What's your name?" The man questioned, spinning me around to face him.

"I'll tell you if you tell me yours first." I teased, and he smirked in response.

"It's John. And since I've given you my name, I hope you'll give me yours?"

"Evangeline."

"A pretty name for a pretty girl. Now tell me, if you wouldn't mind - " John was interrupted by a hand clamping down on his shoulder. "What the..."

"Evans. What do you think you're doing?"

He turned to look at the intruder, "Aiden! Just making some conversation with Evangeline here."

My heart dropped into my stomach. What was he doing here?

Aiden threw a glance over John's shoulder and shoved him out of the way before standing in his place. "Don't ever touch her again."

"We were just having some fun. Nothing crazy." He replied, trying to intervene when Aiden placed his hands on my waist and turned me around.

"I said, don't ever touch her again. I'll kill you if you do." That was all Aiden said before guiding me towards the exit.

I tried to dig my heels into the ground to stop him, but he was relentless. "What are you doing here?" I managed to escape his grasp just as we were on the cusp of the doorway. "And what makes you think you have the right to manhandle me?" I was still angry at him. I knew I was holding onto this grudge for a long time, but giving in and forgiving him, as much as my heart wanted to, my brain wouldn't let it.

"I'm not trying to manhandle you. I'm trying to help you get away from Evans. He's not the best guy. And I could ask you the same thing. What were you thinking, letting him touch you? He's going to get the wrong idea."

"And what's that?" I asked him, crossing my arms across my chest. His gaze drew to my heaving breaths, likely accentuated by the humid air around us.

"That you're interested in him." He ran a hand through his hair, already tousled as if he was frustrated.

I only threw him a glare. "Maybe I was. Or maybe I was just having some fun. You're not my keeper, Aiden. I don't have to explain myself to you. I can be the judge of other peoples' character just fine, thank you very much."

"What, so were you going to let him continue? You might have just been 'having some fun,' but I know he was thinking differently."

"And what's that?" I repeated my question from earlier, unsatisfied with his response.