Jump to the past

As I settled between their beds with the book in my hands, a wave of nervousness washed over me. My heartbeat quickened with every passing second. I gazed at the book, my thoughts spiraling. The voice of my daughter snapped me back to the present. "Mom? Are you okay? You've been staring at that book for a while." I looked at both of my children, their innocent eyes filled with curiosity. "Yes, I'm fine, sweetheart. Are you sure you want to hear this story? I can always get a different book." Fina and her brother shook their heads firmly. My grip on the book tightened. Clearly, I wasn't ready to reveal my past to them. But maybe they'd see it as just another fairy tale. In hindsight, everything might seem like just another story to someone who wasn't there.

"We want to hear this one. We've read all the other books. But this one is new," Takao's voice was filled with excitement. Fina nodded in agreement with her brother, her eyes wide with anticipation.

"Alright, but be warned. This story is unlike any you've heard before." I carefully opened the book. The scent of old pages filled my nostrils, bringing back a flood of memories. It had been years since I last held this book, years since I thought about what happened to my hometown and my dear friends.

(25 years ago)

My family and I never had much, but it was enough for a small house and food on the table. Times were tough for everyone, ever since those harsh rules were enforced. Our land was divided into three kingdoms years ago, and now everyone fought for more land. Worst of all, contact with the other kingdoms was strictly forbidden. I still remember when humans, elves, and dragons lived peacefully together. But then our king commanded his army to march into the elven kingdom, and everything went downhill. So many innocents lost their lives that day. The elf king didn't take kindly to human soldiers stealing their magical crystals. After that, humans and elves were at war. Soon, the dragons joined the fight.

The war raged on for years, devastating all three kingdoms. Villages were burned, families torn apart, and the land itself bore the scars of endless battles. I remember the constant fear, the uncertainty of whether we would see another sunrise. It was a dark time, filled with loss and sorrow. Eventually, the three kings met to discuss peace. To protect innocent lives, they forbade contact between the kingdoms, hoping to prevent further bloodshed.

Nothing has been the same since.

The human kingdom suffered the most in the aftermath of the war. Many houses were left in ruins, and many families were forced to live on the streets. We were lucky to still have our house. My mother took in the neighboring children; she always had a big heart and cared deeply for others. Our home became a haven for those who had lost everything. Despite the hardships, there was a sense of community and solidarity among us. We shared what little we had and supported each other through the darkest of times.

My mother used to tell us stories to keep our spirits up, tales of bravery and magic, of a time when our world was whole and unbroken. Those stories were a beacon of hope, a reminder of what we were fighting for. And now, as I hold this book in my hands, I realize that it's my turn to pass on these stories. Perhaps my children will see them as mere fairy tales, but I hope they will also understand the lessons hidden within.

"Are you ready?" I asked, looking at their eager faces. They nodded, leaning closer in anticipation. Taking a deep breath, I began to read, my voice steady despite the memories that threatened to overwhelm me. This story was not just a tale from a book; it was a part of who I was, a piece of our family's legacy. And as I spoke, I felt a strange sense of peace, knowing that the past was not forgotten, and that through these stories, it would continue to live on.