25. Marcus Bontempelli

"Daddy" my 3 year old son, Adrien said, walking out of his room with a footy. I couldn't help but let out a smile. It was nearly as big as him.

"What have you got here?" I asked him, picking him up whilst he held it.

"A ball" he said, fiddling around with it.

"Do you know what type of ball it is" he curiously looked at the big letters that spelled "SHERRIN"

"Sherwin" his little voice said. He was so cute.

"It's called a footy. Do you want to know how to kick it?" I asked. He excitedly nodded. He was adorable, his brunette hair that was styled like Harvey Gallaghers (thank Neila for that) and his hazel eyes.

I put his little sneakers on and carried him into our big backyard. I instructed him on how to kick it. Usually, kids can't really get the spin, and Adrien didn't at first, but he persisted. Talk about early signs. He was going to be great, I could tell already.

Years went by, and my AFL career had slowly finished, leaving me more time to help Adrien.

Adrien was 10 now and had already won 3 best and fairests for his club and league. He was a fantastic midfielder, and there was no doubt that he would only get better.

Which is what he did. Every bad game he had, he persisted to get better and do better. By the age of 15, he had been selected to play for the Sandringham dragons, one of the best teams for younger players. I couldn't be any more prouder of him. He was doing so well already. The only thing left for him to conquer now was the draft. Even if he didn't get selected, we would be so proud of everything he's achieved.

Draft night

This was one of the first times I've seen Adrien nervous on a different level, I know how badly he wanted this. He's been working so hard for the past 15 years to get here.

"And with pick one, the western bulldogs have matched the adelaide crows pick for Adrien Bontempelli from the Sandringham dragons" I immediately jumped up and hugged him, all these years, the injuries, driving him to games every weekend and training with him endlessly, it was all worth It.