53. Ben keays

I roamed around the endless shelves of stories, thousands of pages authors poured their heart and soul into, spilling their imagination onto pages of parchment for them to be sent out into the world and find themselves where we were now. I flipped book by book, gazing through blurbs and titles, enjoying the quiet when i felt a hand over mine.

“Oh sorry” I heard a light voice say from beside me. I looked over to see a girl, a stunning girl with luscious brunette locks tied back into a ponytail, her green eyes standing out on her pale face.

“Oh..you’re okay” I said softly, breaking my gaze. She gave me a soft smile, taking a book off the shelf, leaving me surrounded with just thoughts. I watched her as she sat down, burying herself into her story. I found a seat near her, a book in my hand, not to read though, just as a prop in case her gorgeous green eyes caught me. I opened the book, looking up at her, I felt like i could just sit there for hours watching her sink into the book, flipping the pages every 5 minutes. It felt like hours when she finally stood up and went to borrow the book.

The next few weeks went by, and I was a regular visitor at the library now, not for the endless pages of narratives and biographies, though, for her. I think she noticed I was a so-called regular as well because she always gave me a small smile, or maybe she just knew I was an Afl player and wanted to be nice.

She was nothing but a silly crush right now, i mean, i've never talked to her. That's what i thought until she dropped a book near me one day.

“Let me help” I whispered as I picked up her book, passing it back to her.

“Thank you” she smiled, glancing down at the pile of books she had in her hands

“Do you want help with all that, i mean i'm sure you're strong but it is pretty big” i blurted out, fiddling with my finger nervously, don't stuff this up ben, that was so stupid.

“Actually that would be great. Thank you so much” she said as I took half the pile.

“You’re welcome” I said, giving her a smile as she went around putting some of them back.

“You’ve got a really good taste, any book recommendations?” I asked, trying to spark a conversation.

“Yeah a couple, depends what you like though”  She said, sitting down on a table.
We talked about books for hours, for once I could engage in a conversation about something I couldn't care less about. She gave me one of her favourite books and it was surprisingly really good. I finished a chapter, still invested, but I needed to see her face. She gave a little glance up at me, both of us blushing until she went back to her book. That day, I figured out her name, alexandra, and years later, I would figure out my life, my life with her 💗