Third driver

° Daniel and Max

° Smut

This is set around the beginning of 2023, when Daniel was out of McLaren but not yet in Alpha Tauri (like in that episode of Drive to Survive)

***************

POV: Daniel

— Welcome back Daniel Ricciardo, can you tell us a bit about your role, now that Redbull decided to hire you as their third driver?

— I make Max and Checo's meals, fold their clothes... I joke around, trying to hide the real bitterness in my voice.

— Ahah, yeah of course!

— No but honestly, just doing media things, sponsors events etc. Of course I try to help on the racing bit as well but... Yeah I can't lie, I miss racing.

Thankfully, this interview isn't too long and I can quickly go back to the garage, focusing on the current qualifications. Max is leading, which, I guess, is good for him. I should be happy after all, he's my friend, or maybe even a bit more than that actually. My... super friend, let's say.

After taking pole and getting the interviews and pictures done, he steps back in the garage, immediately smiling at me. He's cute when he does that, but I'm too exhausted to even care right now. These things I have to do, while looking at him driving in Formula one and succeeding, it's just a bit too much.

Those past years haven't been the nicest to me, to be fair. And maybe leaving Redbull was the biggest mistake I ever made, but I couldn't imagine how bad it would really be. Renault, and then McLaren, these four years treated me terribly, and I feel the worst that I ever felt. Which is why I immediately jumped on Christian's offer to bring me back in the team, it's just... That's not exactly how I hoped it would go.

— Hey Daniel, how are you? The unmistakable voice of the Dutchman makes me look up, trying not to lash out at him for no reason.

— Fine, fine, 'bit tired but you know. Good job with P1, I see that you haven't lost anything!

He smirks and pulls me into a hug all of a sudden. I can't lie, this man makes me feel things I preferred to forget in the last seasons, but seeing him every day just lights them up again.

— Thanks, I wish you could be my teammate again though.

— Is there something with Perez? I immediately ask, suddenly very curious.

— I mean he's doing fine, my smile fades a little hearing that, I just miss you and how we were close you know?

His sudden declaration taking me by surprise, I feel my skin getting warm and quickly decide to put some space between us, before he notices how flustered he makes me.

— I wouldn't say not to that seat either, for sure! But no, I have to sign caps and answer silly questions...

My suddenly bitter tone seems to take aback the Dutchman, who looks at me a bit worriedly. We're currently walking, I don't know where to, but there's no one around.

— Is it really that bad, I know you take some of our responsibilities, and I'm grateful for that, but... I mean it shouldn't be that difficult right?

Fuming at his words, I'm too stunned to speak at first. He, the man who famously hates doing all that shit and media things, is telling me my job is "easy" while he gets to drive one of the best cars and fight for wins? There's no way he's serious, and his innocent face only makes me more upset.

— You're joking right? my tone is much angrier that I'd imagined, and to see Max flinching for a second makes me feel bad. But I'm too upset now to back up.