21. 'Mel'-o-Drama

___________________

.

.

.

"Nicola..." Melanie approached Nicola as she was having a glass of chocolate ice-cream milkshake.

Nicola took a deep breath. This was it. The moment she had been dreading. "Yes, Melanie?"

"I know we haven't exactly seen eye to eye on your marriage," Melanie began tentatively, "but I do hope you know that I only want what's best for you."

Nicola took a spoonful of ice-cream, her eyes never leaving Melanie's. "And what's that, exactly?" she asked, her voice as cold as the dessert.

Melanie took a moment before speaking, choosing her words carefully. "For you to be happy, of course."

Nicola raised an eyebrow. "And what makes you think I'm not happy?"

"I know you feel like this is a good decision but you may regret it going forth." Melanie said.

"What are you trying to say?" Nicola dug her nails into her palm as she told herself to keep calm. This woman or this conversation was not worth it.

"All I am saying is that you are too young to have a child. You are only twenty-two."

"So?' Nicola asked. "I didn't see you thinking about how young I was when you got me married to Dominic."

"Dominic was thirty-two then. It was high time he got married."

"Dominic is thirty-four now. It's high time he took up the responsibility of being a father." Nicola shot back.

"But you both are getting a divorce." Melanie sounded like she had had enough of being nice.

"So?"

"This pregnancy complicates everything."

Nicola looked at her mother-in-law with a mix of amusement and annoyance. She knew what this woman was implying and she knew that she should be feeling angry. But she didn't care about this lady's opinion. At all.

"Make yourself more specific, Melanie," Nicola said instead.

Melanie rolled her eyes. "You know what I mean, dear."

"I truly do not, Melanie."

"Don't try to make me the villain here." Melanie's voice was low and cold.

"I don't have to try," Nicola shot back, her eyes narrowing. "You are doing a fine job by yourself."

"How dare you! I am just trying to think about your future here!"

"You are thinking about only your son's future here." Nicola spat back. "You are just a vile old lady who only cares about herself and her own gains and happiness."

"What did you just say?" They two had the room's attention. "Who do you think you are to talk to me like that?"

"What's going on?" Dominic appeared but the ladies ignored him.

"And who do you think you are to stand in my house and talk bullshit to me?" Nicola was starting to rage. She had lied to herself when she thought that it didn't matter what others said. Well, it still didn't matter. But that didn't mean she could not get offended by it.

"Nicola, you can't talk to my Mom like that!" Dominic's tone was firm.

Nicola turned to her husband. "Don't try to butt in on something you know nothing about, Dominic Jeremiah Grant."

"Dominic, she called me vile." Melanie was openly crying crocodile tears. "I won't stay here for another moment."

Nicola felt a tug of anger. "Oh, please. Don't let the door hit you on the way out."