Chapter 17

Tobias POV

The doctor's words keep repeating in my head

He starts off, "Tris has received a nasty blow to the head..."

"We know that. Is there anything else you know that we don't," I spit out in annoyance.

"If you had let me finish, you would have found out." This doctor has some sass. "She has badly damaged her brain stem and cerebellum, the parts of the brain that control life support and muscular activity. It's surprising she has made it this far." I release a breath I didn't realize I was holding. Tears start to prick my eyes. I glance over at Christina and notice she's silently crying. If her brain stem was badly damaged, the part of the brain that controls her life support, she has no hope. She's dead. For real this time.

"Due to the severity of the injury, we thought she would remain in a coma forever. But we managed to get to her just in time. With the brain stem injury, she would normally have to stay on life support to stay alive but she has surpassed all expectations and will be able to live without life support." I let out a massive sigh of relief and finally let the tears that have been building up in my eyes flow down my face. I wrap my arms around Cristina and give her a hug. Tris is going to survive.

"Although Tris will be able to live she will never be able to walk and only have a very limited control over her body after extensive physiotherapy. She has no control over her muscles. Her physiotherapy will last a minimum of 5 years and will only increase her control slightly."

The conversation circles in my head. Tris will never be able to move again. She'll hate that. She's Dauntless. Moving is what she does. She will be devastated when she wakes up. But at least she's alive.

It's five hour after the doctor came out to give Christina and I the news. Since then we have had no more news. Christina finally fell asleep half an hour later but I just can't manage to sleep. We were suppose to get married today. It is most likely that we'll have to wait at least another 5 years before we have time to do this again.

"Tobias?" I spin around to see that Caleb is awake and looking at me. His dark brown hair is spiked in all different directions. "Have you had any sleep yet?" By the way I look at floor he knows the answer but he doesn't say anything. "Any news?"

"Yeah." I look up at him and notice that his green eyes are bloodshot and he looks awful. I don't even want to know what I look like. He widen his eyes and nods his head slightly forward, telling me to tell him the news. "I'll wait until everyone else is awake. I don't want to have to repeat it 4 times."

"Ok. You should really get some sleep. You look ghastly."

"Thanks," I say in a joking way. "I just can't fall asleep. I've tried so many times. I guess I want to be awake if a doctor comes out with more news."

"I can wake you if there is anymore news."

"Thanks," I say meaning it this time. I look around the room and see one last spare couch on the opposite side of the room. There are a lot more people here now because it's around 10 in the morning. Nurses and doctors are walking around hastily now, back and forth, back and forth. I make my way over to the couch until Caleb calls my name again. I turn around to see him staring at me with sympathy.

"It's going to be ok. She's going to be ok. Maybe not right away but she's a fighter. She'll be fine." I give him a slight nod, words escaping me. Tears start to prick at my eyes again but I turn around before one falls down my cheek. I reach the couch and the last thing I remember before I fall asleep is Caleb's voice, telling me Tris will be ok. Because she will be. 

She'll be fine, I'll be fine. We'll be fine.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ok. It's been way to long. I am soooooooooooooooooo sorry. It's almost two months and I know that I said I was going to come up with some sort of plan thing for this book so that the chapters would be better and longer and the characters would be more developed but this is the first thing I have written for it. I wasn't even going to publish this chapter until I had come up with a writing plan and updating plan and had the whole story planned out. But, it's been too long already so I'm doing it now and then I'm going to work on the plan. I feel so bad. But. Here it is. Better late than never, right?

Just hold on a minute. 7.3K reads!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WHAT!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? I had a massive fangirling moment when i saw that. I... just... agh... What?!?!?!?! I... I'm speechless. 7.3K reads. Wow. That makes me feel amazing. Then I sort of feel even worse for not updating sooner and the super short chapters that I write. On another note. This chapter is 713 words. Which I'M pretty happy about.

I don't know where I want to take this story. I'm completely stuck. Which is a factor of why I haven't written anything in ages. @skydauntless_archer gave me this idea and I love it and am definitely using it but I don't want to make it cliché where she gets hurt, they find out she's pregnant (which is not happening), she gets better before being attacked again. I want to make it different. That's why she has no control over her muscles. I just think it will make my story different and, better? Maybe? I also just had a test on the brain and all that which is why there's the bit about the brain stem and cerebellum.

I've notice lots of people have songs that go with their chapter and this song, I think, fits this chapter. Not really but it's an amazing song. You guys should all listen to it and other songs by the band. OMG they're amazing. It's called Thank You by Little Sea. My favourite song at the moment. Probably my favourite band to. They're just amazing. I'm actually speechless about what to say about them. I have to thank my best friend @BeQuietMaddie. She has amazing music taste. She led me to this band and they are amazing. Listen to them. I promise it's the greatest thing you will ever do. The videos wherever media stuff is for you. Listen. Your life will be changed forever.